Author Topic: Thomas LANE  (Read 508 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas LANE
« on: Monday 02 March 20 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I would like to find the baptism of Thomas LANE, who was born in Kings Newton in 1804. I know he later moved to Wellington where he married Ann GASKIN and died in 1866.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas LANE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 08:02 GMT (UK) »
There is the possibility that he could have been born in Staffordshire e,g, Burton-on-Trent and moved into Derbyshire when a child.  He claims Kings Newton, Staffordshire in 1861 census, and Kings Newton, Derbyshire in 1851.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
True. But he is consistent on Kings Newton.

In any case, I can’t find him in either Derbyshire or Staffordshire.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
There are baptisms for Frances (1802), John (1802) and Elizabeth (1805) Lane in Melbourne, parents John and Hannah.

Where do you believe Thomas would have been baptised?

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the baptisms in Melbourne and wondered whether they are siblings, but have no way of proving that they are related.

In 1841, 1851 and 1861, Thomas is living in Burton on Trent. He dies in Burton in 1866, but is buried in Willington.

The real problem is knowing where he was between his birth in 1804 and the 1841 census, a gap of 37 years. The only record I can find in this period is his marriage to Ann Gaskin in 1826 and the birth of their 9 children, all of whom were born in Willington, between 1828 and 1846. He clearly met his wife in Willington, as she was born there in 1804 and seems to have spent most of her life there.

But where he was before I have no idea. By geographical knowledge of the area is weak, so I would find it difficult to make a guess. I know Kings Newton was part of Melbourne and as far as I can see the John and Hannah you mention are the only "Lanes" to be found there, which sort of suggests that they are relatives, but is hardly proof. If the baptisms you mention are those of siblings, why is there no record for Thomas, especially as he would have been born between John and Elizabeth?

In short, I have no real idea. The suggestion of Melbourne is appealing, but far from conclusive.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 March 20 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I totally agree with your analysis of the situation.

Do the names of his children tie in to that John/Hannah family.

You can see those original baptisms on IGI to give you some idea of numbers per year, and whether anything has been badly transcribed.

Just in case you have not seen:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101601822

Have you read the Conservation Area/Kings Newton/Character Statement ?