Author Topic: Messetter/Mercer in Dallington  (Read 517 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Messetter/Mercer in Dallington
« on: Tuesday 03 March 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »
After DNA testing, I have figured out I am descended from George Messetter (various spellings) and Elizabeth Morris, married 21 Feb 1813 in Burwash, and lived in Dallington, where they had a number of children.  Although George states on the census he was b. in Dallington, I could not find his baptism until I noticed a connection to the name Mercer on some trees and in the church records.  I have also found the name as Messeger and Marcer.  I did find George's baptism in Dallington, son of William and Hannah (presumably maiden name Underhill).
Does anyone know the history of the name change?  I did find some Messetters in Wiltshire and Gloucestershire and thought maybe one of them ended up in Sussex, but now with this "alias" of Mercer, I am wondering!
Also wondering if there is any connection to the name of Message (I have several of those in my tree, but not direct ancestors...yet!) which is also quite numerous in nearby Warbleton.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Messetter/Mercer in Dallington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »

I think it might be possible that there is a connection with the Mercer name but it might be difficult to prove, I note the records you mention.
This is the record on Freereg!
Elizabeth MORRIS George NESSITER   Marriage   21 Feb 1813   Sussex   Burwash : St Bartholomew : Parish Register

1851   George Mussetter
Birth    1789 Ashburnham, Sussex

1861   George Messiker
Birth   1789 Dallington Sussex

1871   George Messetter
Birth   1789 Dallington Sussex

The marriage OPR below is on family search but I cannot make out the parish they are from. If William changed his name to Mercer, why did George revert to the names above?

William Messeter
Marriage 16 Oct 1785
Mayfield, Sussex
Hannah Underhill
Witness Daniel Underhill

I cannot find a connection between Hannah & Daniel, except there was a Daniel baptised Mayfield in 1755 parents Thomas & Elizabeth.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »

This is the record on Freereg!
Elizabeth MORRIS George NESSITER   Marriage   21 Feb 1813   Sussex   Burwash : St Bartholomew : Parish Register

The image on familysearch has it as Messiter. 

Freereg has transcribed the M as N, strange really as the M in both Messiter & Morris looks the same you would think they would have transcribed Morris as Norris  ;D

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DR83-V1Y
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your posts.  I don't know if there would ever be any way to figure out the change of Messeter to Mercer and back again (re William's marriage as Messeter and then the children baptized as Mercer and then back to Messeter again).  Wonder if a will might show something, if one exists.

I haven't been able to find Elizabeth Morris Messeter's death in the FreeBMD or the GovUk sites, I found her burial in Dallington in 1869 but was thinking of getting her death cert. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if this is the death registration for Elizabeth  :-\
Death June qtr 1869 
Messiter    Mary   age  77   
Battle    2b   29   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie, I will look into that, even if only to eliminate a Mary of the same age.  It does match the quarter, too.