Author Topic: Sinclair. Port Glasgow  (Read 590 times)

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sinclair. Port Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 04 March 20 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to help my wife find out a bit more about her mothers family.

My wifes mum was Pearl Sinclair born 1931 died in 1960 (in the TB Sanitorium Bridge of Weir) aged 29. My wife was only 2 when Pearl died.
 Her (Pearls) father was George Alexander Sinclair and her mother Margaret Black. They lived at Highholm St. Port Glasgow.
Pearl had one sister for sure, called Elizabeth known as Bessie, now deceased.  My wife knew her aunt but had little contact.
My wife thinks there were more siblings of her mothers, almost 100% sure. She was told the storyr that one of her mothers siblings was killed in an accident involving a Tram.
Sorry this is all she has to go on, perhaps some of you good people can find out more.

thank you inn anticipation

Tam
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Sinclair. Port Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage of George Sinclair to Margaret B Black in Glasgow Blythswood in 1914. Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and use some of them to buy an image of the marriage certificate. It will tell you the names of George and Margaret's parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Margaret Bell Black, other surname Sinclair, mother's maiden surname Bell, died in Port Glasgow in 1975, aged 83. This could be Pearl's mother. She will be ther Margaret Bell Black born in Greenock West in 1891.

There are 12 deaths of Sinclairs with mother's name Black born 1925 plus or minus 10 years. One of them is Elizabeth Sinclair, other surname Lindsay, who died in Greenock in 1989 aged 68. However the mother's maiden surname is only included in the 20th century indexes from 1974 onwards, so any siblings who died before 1974 would not show up in this search.

Elizabeth Sinclair and John Lindsay were married in Greenock West in 1942. Their marriage certificate, available from Scotland's People, will tell you if this was your Bessie.

Could your George Alexander Sinclair be the one who died in Greenock in 1950 aged 62? His death certificate, also available from Scotland's People, will tell you.

Any idea what age and sex the sibling was who was killed in the tram accident?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian. Yes we have my wifes maternal grandparents certificates from SP as well as names of their parents, marraiges, deaths.

Unfortunately she does not know the age of her mums sibling who was killed only that she believes it was a girl.
A long shot but worth a try.
thanks again
Owen/s, Miller, McMillan, Hamilton, Clarke, McCafferty, Rowe, Sinclair, Jamieson. Hanson/Hansen.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tam

One possible sister given the names you have:

Margaret Bell Sinclair born 1917 in Port Glasgow.

Have a look on SP and the birth index. It could well be that George and Margaret had all their children there given that Pearl was born there in 1931.

What were the names of George and Margaret's parents? Forfarian mentioned the surname Bell (for mother's maiden name) included in the index for Margaret Black Sinclair's death.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Tam, little Jeanie Smith Sinclair born in Port Glasgow in 1925 was the girl who died in the accident in 1930. If you send me your email via PM, happy to send you further details.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TAMOWEN4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for your reply, I have PMd you.

In answer to your questions

George Alexander Sinclair..father Alexander Sinclair. mother Elizabeth ms McGuire??
Margaret Bell Black...father James Smith Black.  mother Mary Bell.

Tam