Author Topic: Looking for Grandfather's Address in 1959-1980, NYC phonebooks  (Read 797 times)

Offline babygene14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Grandfather's Address in 1959-1980, NYC phonebooks
« on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am doing some genealogical research and I've hit a roadblock trying to verify my grandfather's address in the 1960- 1970's in Manhattan.

My grandfather's name was Moe Karpf, and the address I am trying to verify is 350 west 57th Street. Perhaps another relative lived here here during that period? My grandfather passed away over 30 years ago, and my family thought he and my grandmother lived in Brooklyn during this time.

Does anyone have access to Manhattan phone books from this range of time? They are unfortunately not available online yet, and I'd need to travel all the way across the country to check the New York Public Library in person. This is an uncommon surname/spelling , so there will probably only be a few listings matching(even in NYC).

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Grandfather's Address in 1959-1980, NYC phonebooks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
You're right, they aren't on line, are they.  I looked in 3 places.
Here are a few suggestions:

There is an obit with the words "Beloved wife of Moe" in the Sept 5, 1976, NY Times, that might give an address, or might not.

Try the Brooklyn library, would they do a lookup, or be able to refer you to someone?

Ask on the Kings Co., message board at ancestry.com, it looks like it is active:
https://www.ancestry.com/boards/localities.northam.usa.states.newyork.counties.kings
You should be able to access it without a subscription, if I recall right.

Look for a Brooklyn person at random acts of genealogical kindness, if they are still active:
https://raogk.org/

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 20 14:44 GMT (UK) »
There is an obit with the words "Beloved wife of Moe" in the Sept 5, 1976, NY Times, that might give an address, or might not.
That one might not help. I didn't look closely enough the first time - Google found "Moe" and Karpf" in the same page, that is all.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is the man you are looking for
Social Security death index
Moe Karpf died 1 May 1988,[ born 7 December 1903] last known address 11209 Brooklyn, Kings County.

His application for benefits lists father Charles Karpf and mother Toby Mandell

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 20 15:47 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1960 Manhattan city directory/phone book that has various Karpfs, but no one named Moe and no one at the W. 57th St. address.

Offline knort33

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 March 20 05:28 GMT (UK) »
March 26, 2020

Where did you come across the address?

This address, 350 W. 57th St, Apt. 5F, New York, NY was a prior address (1991) for Elizabeth B. Karpf, born May 5, 1908 in Buffalo, NY and who died October 10, 2001 in New York, NY.

She previously lived at 3616 Henry Hudson Parkway, Bronx, NY in the 1960's.
---------------------------

(From the Yonkers NY Herald Statesman, Friday, March 24, 1961--(page number not shown)

"Riverdale Nieces Named In Will"

Mrs.  Elizabeth Karpf of 3616 Henry Hudson Parkway, and Mrs. Sabina B. Wolfe of 4511 Fieldston  Road,  both  Riverdale,  share  in the estate  of  their  uncle,  the  late  Max  Mandel   of  New  York,   whose will was filed for probate in Surrogates Court in Manhattan.   Mr.  Mandel directed in the will  of Feb. 6, 1958 that the Riverdale legatees divide the estate equally with six other nieces and nephews.  Mr. Mandel died Jan.  15.  Value of the estate will not be known until an inventory is completed.

The 1976 NY times article referring to "beloved wife of Moe" has no relation to the Moe Karpf you are looking for, since the Moe's actual name in this article is MOE KARP.