Author Topic: Friock  (Read 584 times)

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Friock
« on: Thursday 05 March 20 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Researching my Maternal tree I found my Ggmother came from Angus. She was called Elizabeth Friock born early 19th century. I have heard of the name Friockheim as being a place in the County. Is the name Friock a common surname in the area

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Friock
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 20 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the various censuses?

1871 has 8 instances of the Friock surname - 2 of whom are at sea.  1881 has 7 so definitely not a common surname

1901 only has 13 - 10 of them living in Lanarkshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Friockheim has nothing to do with any surname. It was named by a former proprietor who had travelled in Germany, and appended the syllable '-heim' to the old name 'Friock', which is an anglicisation of the Gaelic word for heather. 

It is pronounced FREE-come, by the way.

See https://www.friockhub.co.uk/friockheim-and-district

Also Ainslie's map, dated 1796, where you can find 'Freeock' and 'Cotton of Freeock'. https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400191
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Researching my Maternal tree I found my Ggmother came from Angus. She was called Elizabeth Friock born early 19th century. I have heard of the name Friockheim as being a place in the County. Is the name Friock a common surname in the area

I live in Friockheim and I've never met or heard of anyone with that surname. As Forfarian says the place name is from the Gaelic word for heather but the heim was added in at the request of Flemish weavers who came to Friockheim.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie