Author Topic: Thomas Dourne  (Read 382 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Dourne
« on: Thursday 05 March 20 23:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone here can help me clarify the identity of my ancestor Elizabeth Dourne and her father Thomas.

Elizabeth Dourne married Peter Rogers in 1670. She appears to have been christened in Stalisfield on 17 February 1638/39 the daughter of Thomas and Dorothy Dourne

The problem I am having is identifying her father's christening.

The only christening I have found so far is for a Thomas Dourne who was christened in Selling on 18 September 1608 and was the son of Henry and Dorothy Dourne.

The problem I have found is that this may be the wrong Thomas.

I have a copy of the 1686 will of Joseph Dourne of Molash and in this he makes the following statement:

"I give and bequeath unto Peter Rogers sonn of Thomas Rogers of Throwley the sum of twenty pounds of lawful money which I promised him upon his marriage to Elizabeth Dourne my kinswoman."

So clearly this Joseph was related to Elizabeth who married Peter Rogers. I can't see a connection to the Henry Dourne mentioned above.

There are the following children christened in Throwley between 1603/04 and about 1620/21 but not all of them have a father [or any parents] listed:

Judyth - 1602
Paulina - 1604
Maria - 1605
Mary - 1606
George - 1608
William - 1609
Elizabeth - 1611 [daughter of William]
Ann - 1612 [daughter of William]
David - 1616
Joseph - Feb 1620/21

Apart from Elizabeth and Ann no fathers seem to be listed for these children in the christenings.

I think the Joseph who was christened in 1620/21 must be the same one who died in Molash in 1686. If that's the case then when he referred to "Elizabeth Dourne my kinswoman" in his will, I suspect Joseph was referring to his niece.

If that's the case then the Elizabeth who was christened in 1638/39 was more likely to be the daughter of the Thomas who was christened in 1611 [who was potentially Joseph's brother] rather than the daughter of the Thomas who was christened in Selling in 1608 [son of Henry].

Does anyone have any ideas on how to clarify this puzzle?

Thanks for any ideas

Matt
Thomas 1607

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dourne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at Thomas Dourne of Stalisfield Will 1688 maybe that will give you a pointer?
Otherwise are there any visitations of Kent which mat have them on.

Ciderdrinker

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 20 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you looked at Thomas Dourne of Stalisfield Will 1688 maybe that will give you a pointer?
Otherwise are there any visitations of Kent which mat have them on.

Ciderdrinker

Hi there

I wasn't aware of that will. I have one for Joseph Dourne of Molash dated 1686, and one from 1595 for Edward Dourne of Stalisfield. I will certainly give this one a look. Do you have a reference for it or know where it was proved? I can't see it on the Canterbury Probate Records website.

Thanks again

Matt

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I was struggling to find a copy or I would have given you the details.
FindMyPast has a reference under Kent Wills and Probates
Thomas Dourne
yeoman
Stalisfiled
Canterbury Archdeanery Court
PRC/11/52/88

I'm not up on Kent .It isn't really my area so I don't know where that would be or how to find it.

Ciderdrinker

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I was struggling to find a copy or I would have given you the details.
FindMyPast has a reference under Kent Wills and Probates
Thomas Dourne
yeoman
Stalisfiled
Canterbury Archdeanery Court
PRC/11/52/88

I'm not up on Kent .It isn't really my area so I don't know where that would be or how to find it.

Ciderdrinker

Hi

Thanks for that. The reference given is for an inventory rather than a will so it won't give as much info as a will would regarding people/relationships.

Still useful to have this though as I didn't have it before.

Matt