Author Topic: George Smith/Thomas b c 1846  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Smith/Thomas b c 1846
« on: Friday 06 March 20 07:42 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of William Thomas  and Mary Smith on  5 April 1847 was registered in Hay,  Brecon and Radnor.
In 1851 they were living in Llangattock with son, George, age 4, born Bedwellty.
In 1861 the widowed Mary was living in Gelligear. George was recorded as age 14, born Ebbw Vale.
 These two records consistently imply that George was born in Monmouthshire between April 1846 and March 1847 - that is pre-marriage. If he had been born after April 1847, he would not have had his 4th/14th birthday at census time.
Even allowing some flexibility, I cannot find  registration of the birth of  a George Smith, no mmn, nor a George  Thomas, mmn Smith, within the relevant time period and location.
Given the difference in their ages when   married, ( William  42, Mary 23 - both approx), I did wonder if William had been previously married, his first wife died in/after childbirth, and he had re-married quickly but he is described as a bachelor on the marriage certificate.
In later censuses, George gave his place of birth as  Penare, Mon (1871), Tredegar, Mon (1881), Monmouthshire (1891), Pantywain, Glam (1901), St Helen's, Lancs (1911). The only repeated place of birth for Mary is Blackrod, Lancs. I did wonder if she went "home" to have her child.
Can anyone see anything I have missed?