Author Topic: The Grisdale's of Whitehaven  (Read 865 times)

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Grisdale's of Whitehaven
« on: Friday 06 March 20 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, I am a Grisdale from Wirral, related to the Grisdales from Matterdale.  Matthew Grisdale 1752 – 1838 seems to have been one of the first to make the move to Whitehaven. He appears to have been a successful corn factor and in 1828 is described as a Gentleman living in Lonsdale Place. He also seemed to have had a Business, which he left to one of his sons John Grisdale, in Roper Street.

One of the sons who did less well was my 3rd GG Thomas Grisdale b Whitehaven 1792 and d Liverpool 1856. I am really struggling to find any information about his life In Whitehaven, He married Elizabeth Hope in 1817 and they have a son Matthew (who becomes a sea Captain) I did once hear that he may have had a lumber business that went bankrupt?

He mysteriously disappears to Dublin, Ireland were he marries a Jane Smith. When Jane dies he moves two children in with his sister, Ann Grisdale(Pagan), and moves to Liverpool were he becomes a Pawnbroker. Any additional information about Thomas would be very welcome.

Finally, I did come across this record relating to the Grisdale's and not too sure what it means. Any help here would also be appreciated.

Share Certificates

Description

William Grisdale of Whitehaven, grocer, and Jonathan Watson Grisdale of Liverpool, Customs Officer, as Executors of the late John Grisdale of Whitehaven grocer, vendors to Matthew Grisdale of Whitehaven mariner, the following vessels:

- Bell of Whitehaven, built at Maryport 1799, 176 tons;
- Speed of Whitehaven, built at Douglas I O M 1842, 261 tons, both sold 1853
and by the same vendors to Jonathan Watson Grisdale of Liverpool mariner, the following vessels:
- Mary Ann of Whitehaven, built at Douglas I O M 1841, 201 tons;
- Wilson of Whitehaven, built at Whitehaven 1840, 176 tons, both sold 1853.

Full descriptions of each vessel are given on each of the above, together with details of her owners.
Date

Best wishes
Paul

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Grisdale's of Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It does look as though Thomas Grisdale was a timber merchant who went bankrupt February 1826.
On the 14 th February 1826 he resigns as Director of the Whitehaven Savings Bank
28th there is a notice of Bankruptcy in 'The cumberland Paquet and Ware's Whitehaven Advertiser ' notifying the public Thomas Grisdale lumber merchant and bookseller late of Whitehaven is bankrupt.
He must appear at the Black Lion Whitehaven by 12 noon on the 15 or 15th March 1826.Which suggests he has done a runner.
In September  the Solicitor appointed to sort out the affairs Lawrence Adamson is selling Thomas's property.
So he does have reason to leave  and very quickly.
Apparently he owns a part share in the ship The Ann with a Walter Ward who had also gone bankrupt.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dBBKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=thomas+grisdale+bankrupt+1826&source=bl&ots=lcnb86-gaW&sig=ACfU3U2VBS-oyEA9LAKom71krKUJ1hojZA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiS7oy574XoAhUrQEEAHd7zAZMQ6AEwAXoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=thomas%20grisdale%20bankrupt%201826&f=false

His father Mathew's PCC Will  of 1838 leaves Thomas £600 which hopefully would have helped pay of any remaining debts.

Also 8 Mar 1824 a Thomas Grisdale merchant of Whitehaven joins the Free Masons .He pays 2' 6 for the last time in December 1826 . He is 25 years old.
Also a member was a William Grisdale who joined about the same time.

1831 Poll book Thomas Grisdale residence Matterdale owns a property  at Hutton Soil which entitles him to vote.
Not sure if he is yours.

Not him but perhaps another Thomas Grisdale in your treee
Found guilty of larceny at Whitehaven 5.4.1853 6 mths
16.10.1860 guilty of larceny with a previous offense 9 mths.

The Share document seems to be the sons of John Grisdale ,Thomas's brother dividing his ships between them after his death.Mathew is buying them from his two brothers.
John's Will is a PCC Will of 1852.
In it he gives Mathew 64 parts in certain ships and then goes on to name his other sons and executors.The writing is quite faint and I'd assume Mathew is buying the rest.

Ciderdrinker

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 20 13:04 GMT (UK) »

https://grisdalefamily.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/just-one-grisdale-mariner-2/

I think we have a RootsChat member Stephen Lewis who was researching Grisdale from Patterdale. Perhaps he could help you.  ???

Thomas Grisdale - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p50/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to you both that is really useful information. I suspected he was perhaps a 'rogue' and now I know why he disappeared . He married in Dublin in 1830, tragically whilst in Dublin he had four children who all died in early infancy. Two did survive and as I said in my post can be found on the 1841 census back in Whitehaven with his sister Ann Pagan nee Grisdale. His Irish wife died Jane died in 1839. I wonder whether he was ever made to pay back his debts? By 1843 I have him on a trade directory in Liverpool as a pawnbroker.
Best wishes
Paul

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:26 GMT (UK) »
You prob have Matthew Grisdale will 1838 - will post for back ground.
First part seemed to down load but parts 2 and 3 are playing up at mo

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Matthew Grisdale (corn factor) was living on Irish Street Whitehaven according to the 1811 Jollie´s Guide and Directory

U.K. and U.S. Directories, 1680-1830 - Matthew Grisdale - 1797 - Whitehaven -

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 - Thomas Grisdale - trial year 1853 - Whitehaven Cumberland  - imprisonment 6 months for larceny.

Sandra