Author Topic: Woodhorn Lookup request -baptism at Newburn 1802  (Read 609 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodhorn Lookup request -baptism at Newburn 1802
« on: Friday 06 March 20 14:58 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is at Woodhorn and has time, please could they check the baptism record for:

Newburn Parish Nov 07 1802
Mary Taylor of Lemington, 2nd daughter of John Taylor, crate maker native of Ryton Parish by his wife Jane Rennison native of this parish. The BT gives a birth date of 03 Oct 1779.

As they married in 1797 and the groom was 35 , bride 21, that 1779 date seems very odd. Am wondering if it was a handwritten typo for 1799 and would be interested to know what the PR says.

Thanks

Boo

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Woodhorn Lookup request -baptism at Newburn 1802
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 20 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Free Reg has a baptism in Embleton for a Mary Taylor.Birthday  14 Dec 1801,Baptism 10 Jan 1802.Parents John and Jane..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 March 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks hepburn, but I am specifically looking for the children of this particular couple and as this was in the Shute Barringhton years we get all the good stuff about parentage to help, so I am sure its the right record.

Marriage Abstract from Calendar 1797
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6257-NQD?i=387&wc=MLVD-RMF%3A165411401%2C165411402%2C165412401&cc=1840743

baptism of daughter 1 Jane Taylor 24th Jun 1798
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XW9-F4L?i=76&cc=1309819&cat=1809361

baptisms of daughters 2 & 3 Mary Taylor and Elizabeth Ann Taylor 7th Nov 1802

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6XW9-6N9?i=147&cc=1309819&cat=1809361

It all adds up apart from the stated birth year for Mary.

Those baptisms are on from the BTs, so I'd just like to know what the PR says (may say the same for all I know, but I do think it more likely that it 'should' say 1799)

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 March 20 06:31 GMT (UK) »
The Maxwell Wood transcript of the parish record gives a birth date for Mary 2nd daur as  23 Oct 1779

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 March 20 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janis

Though it says 1779, I am still veering towards it being an error - though at least I now know that the BT wasn't mistranscribed and its what the PR says. I'll give it some more thought before I add Mary onto my tree.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 March 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo
You may have seen this. Is it a possiblity? :-\
There's a marriage allegation, 20 Oct 1827
Andrew Thompson of Ryton + Mary Taylor of Newburn
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-69T7-FT8?i=408&cc=1675690

Both 21 (and upwards?)

And the marriage was at Newburn on the 27th October 1827
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XXD9-G3C?i=179

In the 1851 census, in Winlaton, Mary Taylor, 51, born Lemington, married to Andrew Thompson
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGVQ-K2M

Youngest daughter is 9, a possible birth reg, but of course Thompson and Taylor are common names
THOMPSON, JANE  ELIZABETH     
Mother's Maiden Surname: TAYLOR 
GRO Reference: 1841  S Quarter in GATESHEAD UNION  Volume 24  Page 152

Mary and Andrew still around in 1861 and 1871, her details the same.
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 March 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Newcastle Courant, 29 December 1882
Deaths
WINLATON, On the 22nd inst., aged 83, Mary, widow of the late Andrew Thompson.

She left a will
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=thompson&yearOfDeath=1883&page=12#calendar

Certainly a well off family!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 March 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for taking the time to look John and for the records you have come up with.

I am still at an early stage with this line, but will file those away as 'quite possible' for when I get the direct line confirmed. I started by searching for a Jane Taylor born in Newburn and this family, with some caveats about ages, is in the running. I am investigating them to see if they can be confirmed/discounted. Its a lot more difficult further back when we don't get fathers' names on marriages so I am trying to look at all the possibles to see what turns up.

There was a witness at Jane's marriage called Mary Taylor, but as you say Thompsons and Taylors are ten a penny in the North East :-)

Thanks again

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 March 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hmm and after all that (sorry folks) I have another 'possible' for Jane Taylor who fits better with age. I'd forgotten that Durham Records online have some Northumberland records and there is  Jane Taylor baptised at Newburn in Nov 1792, parents John and Mary and (amongst a squad of others) they too had a daughter called Mary.

BTs for Newburn have gaps for this time frame, but there is an outside chance that FS have the images from the PR if I go to the FHC - the catalogue indicates they do but only for a couple of the available list in the catalogue so they may not yet be uploaded.

I'll see what firkling round for this family serves up.Should keep me quiet for a while :-)

In the meantime, even though the original post may well not be the family I am looking for, the info others have provided will stay in Rootschat and may well help someone else in the future.

Boo