Author Topic: Elswick Cemetery Burial Register - lookup please  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elswick Cemetery Burial Register - lookup please
« on: Saturday 07 March 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has time whilst at the archives (or possibly the Library?  not sure if the Library also holds these) I'd appreciate a look up for the Section/ Plot numbers at Elswick Cemetery.

I have the following info from newspaper death announcements

George HARWOOD, died 8th March 1903, aged 70,  buried at Elswick Cemetery 11th March 1903. His address was 106 Enfield Road.

Isabella HARWOOD, died 15th Oct 1906, aged 71, buried at Elswick Cemetery 17th October 1906. Her address at the time of her death was 104 Greenhow Terrace.

Thanks

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elswick Cemetery Burial Register - lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 March 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

The Elswick burials are at the library on microfilm.  As soon as my work hours next fit in with the Newcastle City libraries opening hours I will look these up for you, if no one beats me to it.  I think it likely that I should be able to do this at some point in the next few weeks.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 March 20 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you RTL.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

No rush whatsoever and only if you have time after doing your own research at the library.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I can hardly believe a whole year has gone past since I responded to this post of yours.   :o 
You may have forgotten about this but I thought I would remind you in light of the local studies doing free look ups at the moment.
I am still happy to do the look up of course, myself, when the local studies reopens .. but as opening is still up in the air, it might be quicker for you to get the look up by the current free service currently offered. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Actually I had forgotten - I am drowning in Harwood folk in my files.
Have now sussed out which George Harwood and Isabella they were ( I have lots with those name combinations) and will send off a query. Thanks for the reminder!

I am utterly impressed with this current offer from the local studies staff. Easy to apply, and I've now sent in 3 requests and received 3 newspaper entries all very promptly. Admittedly I had either an exact date or a date of death and a date of burial so they would have been reasonably easy to find, but even so I am very grateful for these.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
Let us know if you have success with it .. I am sure you will.  If not, I will still happily do the look up.  The place can't stayed closed forever!
Good luck with this Boo! :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 20:57 BST (UK) »
Have now sent off the enquiry, will update if/whenI get a reply

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 May 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
and a tardy update
I asked them to look in the burials register given the dates from the death notices and let me know the Section and plot number.

The gentleman who replied to me (same one as has done 3 newspaper look ups so he's definitely up there on my list of lovely folk) said he'd tried but the burials register doesn't show a plot number but does give the date.
?? I suspect he may have looked at the name index rather than the actual register.?
Bless his cotton socks, he then tried the graves registers and had to give up as he was running out of time.

We know in here that those grave registers can have you running out of sanity 'very' quickly! :-)

So he was unable to help with this one.
I am very grateful for the time he spent on my behalf.

They are going to have an appointment system soon to re-open, I think, but I'd doubt whether the microfilms will be available as they used to be.
Woodhorn and TWAS are both making microfilms 'off limits' for the time being.

Thanks for reminding me about it RTL, though I know you will happily look it up for me whenever its possible, life's too short so I emailed TWAS, got a quote, paid and they'll send me the images as soon as they can get round to it.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 May 21 17:02 BST (UK) »
What a shame you have had to pay after all.  I suspect he has looked at the graves register too.  It is unusual for a section not to be given.  It sounds like he really tried though.  Yes, I would have looked this up for you if not prevented due to covid times.
That's great though that the archives will supply the info :D .. you always get your man (and woman) ;) in the end Boo!  Hope your info doesn't take too long to come.  :)