Author Topic: Houses buried under Penrhyn Quarry  (Read 3882 times)

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Houses buried under Penrhyn Quarry
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 April 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
When I'm allowed into St Tegai, I'll look for these references, thank you.
Tanysgrafell is indeed a ruined church. It was built as a mortuary Chapel and its graveyard was open in 1848 with the last burial in 1813. The building was used as a Sunday School until the '40s. It was used in conjunction with St Anns (both). There are about 260 graves still there and in a dreadful state with trees growing through them; an absolute jungle!

GLAN MEURIG
Does anyone have any information on this terrace of 6 houses which were on the B4409, between Bont Twr and Grisiau Cochion?
I have gone through the censuses from 1841 and they were uninhabited in the 1911 summary books. They weren't buried under the tips and I guess that were simply demolished either to widen the road or that they were too dilapidated.

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone is interested in the Tanysgafell memorials I spent 3 days in the 3 consecutive Springs photographing all that were available and have transcribed them. I still have the photos. The transcriptions are on my website which I have started to put back online. The church was demolished in the mid 60s I think because it was suspected that a black coven was holding meetings there.
I've visited Llandegai quite a lot to look up headstones for anyone that needs one and I can confirm you cannot see the Orme from it.
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/

Offline YrElldee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 April 20 07:44 BST (UK) »
The Gwynedd Family History Society have also done it: M270 has a comprehensive list of graves and memorials. I guess you helped compile this?
Incidentally, the mill on the Afon Galedffrwd by Afon Ogwen is now converted into a dwelling. There's also a trial adit to the left of Pont Sarnau on the path that leads past the ruined church.

Offline Ddol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 May 22 04:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very informative message about the original St Ann's Church.
I have some evidence that it was built in about 1812 St Ann's Centenary Souvenir; Gwynedd Family History  Soc. Memorial Inscriptions No M396. The 1st incumbent was Morris Hughes (1812-1860). However, I have the same doubts as you when you consider that it was named after the wife of Richard Pennant, Anne Susannah Warburton (1745-1814) and Richard had died in 1808 so it's a bit late to build it in 1812 when George Hay Dawkins had inherited the estate by then. Do you have concrete evidence? I also think the vicarage was the large house called Bryn Llys - just below Lon Goch and it was inhabited in the 1881 census by David Pritchard - a quarry agent, with his wife, family and 3 servants.

Diolch.

I am not sure if you are still looking into this? if not I am sorry for reviving and old thread.

The vicarage of St Ann's Church was not the house called Bryn Llys. The Vicarage was actually called a parsonage and was also buried under the slate quarry spoils.
On the tithe map it is number 13 with St Ann's Church and Yard being number 9.
The occupier of the Parsonage is Reverend Morris Hughes,who as you know was the first incumbent at St Ann's.

Offline Bobsnail

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 May 22 19:15 BST (UK) »
Way back in March 2020, YrElldee asked about the houses buried in Penrhyn Quarry and mentioned Brynllwyd and Mount Pleasant. According to the book "The Penrhyn Quarry Hospital at Brynllwyd" is now a ruin and Mount Pleasant was demolished to make way for the new quarry approach road in 1971. neither are buried under slate tips. The book includes illustrations of both houses.

Offline Jpaz1968

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 May 23 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find information about a William parry born 1805 who was a parish clerk for st Ann’s church and lived in the parish clerks cottage. Does anyone have any information on him or the house? He was parish clerk between 1839 and 1881 and was also a quarryman