Author Topic: William JOSE Gwennap Conundrum  (Read 1085 times)

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William JOSE Gwennap Conundrum
« on: Sunday 08 March 20 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Help please

I have 2 Trewartha cousins Elizabeth and Phillipa.
Each of these married a William JOSE in Gwennap
But which William JOSE??
there were about 3 born to different parents in Gwennap around the right time.
Any hints welcome
Thanks
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: William JOSE Gwennap Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 20 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if it's any help, but the witnesses at Elizabeth's marriage (1824) were Thomas TREWARTHA and Jane PHILLIPS, whilst at Phillipa's marriage (1830) they were Edmund WHITBURN and Prudence BRAY.

I assume the other William JOSE you mention married Elizabeth TOY (1833), The witnesses there were Elizabeth JOSE and John BLAMEY.

Modified to add: Phillipa's husband was a widower when he married her.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
the 1851 census has a William Jose born Gwennap married to Elizabeth born Kenwyn. From the birth reg of their son Joseph reg June qtr 1842, mmn is Robarts, so the William who married Elizabeth Roberts in 1828. That William is noted as 47 in 1851.

The William & Elizabeth Jose in Spring Bottom in 1851 have a 10 year old daughter Mary T. Birth reg shows mmn as Toy. That William is enumerated as 40 in 1851 and born Gwennap. On the 1841 census this family are living next door to 2 Elizabeth Joses.

The William married to Elizabeth Trewartha is enumerated as 39 in 1841. They have a 17 year old son Richard. Daughter Elizabeth birth reg march qtr 1840 mmn Trewarther.

The William married to Phillippa had previously been married to Mary Blamey. She died in 1829 and was buried 26 Oct aged 26. That William died in 1843 aged 45, buried 1 Dec abode Trevarth.

You could make a list the children born to each couple to see if they used naming conventions - first son after father's father, first daughter after mother's mother and so on.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with the search but I do have TREWARTHA in Gwennap, including a number of Philippas along parallel lines (including one christened 1801 and one christened 1802), so you might be a distant cousin of mine. Hello :)

Offline J Jose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 05:44 GMT (UK) »
I hope this will help someone. William Jose and Elizabeth Trewartha were one of 3 couples of those names (William and Elizabeth Jose) living in Gwennap at this time. Elizabeth Toy was one of the other Elizabeths,.. I don't remember the other Elizabeth's last name (I probably could with some thought - there was a marriage record for it that I saw). What makes it even more difficult is that they named their children with roughly the same names (but the birth years vary). I am a descendant of William and Elizabeth (Trewartha). Elizabeth immigrated with (at least) 2 of her sons to the US (it is uncertain whether her husband had died in Cornwall prior - there is a death of a William Jose in St. Louis, Missouri from around this time). Son William settled in Missouri. Son Thomas settled in Ohio. Elizabeth remarried (one family writing says she remarried twice, although I can only find one marriage). My family here in the US has demonstrable DNA matches to this Trewartha family. This family only appears in the 1841 Census (the one where the first son Richard has a ? next to his name - that's a whole separate story in and of itself). American immigration year for the Joses is 1848. The couple that has Elizabeth Toy can be deduced because in at least one of the Censuses, Toy was given as a middle name to one of the children - helping with tracing. It's all very confusing, and I spent a lot of time working on these various aspects. Peace

Offline J Jose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Ps: Oh yeah,..  it was Elizabeth "Roberts" I believe. I ran across this very interesting article: https://projects.exeter.ac.uk/cornishlatin/Johnjose.htm

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi J. Do you know who the parents of your Elizabeth TREWARTHA were? I'm interested to see if I can fit her into the tree somewhere.

My parents have done DNA on Anc. I've got a fair amount of my TREWARTHA line strengthened with DNA but I don't know if mum has matched to you if you are on Anc :)