Author Topic: Andrew Johnston, Urbal, Parish of Tamlaght, father Joseph  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Andrew Johnston, Urbal, Parish of Tamlaght, father Joseph
« on: Sunday 08 March 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Johnston was of full age, carpenter, when he married Nancy Wallace on Sept 3, 1860 in the Registrar's Office, Cookstown. His father was Joseph of Urbal, Parish of Tamlaght. Nancy was 20, weaver, from Aghaveagh, Parish of Tamlaght. So Andrew was born before 1839. I don't have his mother's name but would love to.
Andrew and Nancy had at least two children Annie Jun 17, 1867 and Wallace Johnston Oct 30, 1867 both born Urbal. I am thinking there were likely more children. Nancy died before 1875 when Andrew remarried at Wood's Chapel, COI,  to Rachel Lennox, father John, mother Margaret Marshall. Andrew and Rachel had two children Lennox Johnston abt 1876 and Maggie abt 1879 in Co. Derry, as per the 1901 census.
Would appreciate any help with this family such as Andrew's mother, and his date of death (possibly June 30, 1912 in Workhouse, Magherafelt, and the deaths of his two wives.
Thank you
Peggy
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Johnston, Urbal, Parish of Tamlaght, father Joseph
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 20 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Johnston was of full age, carpenter, when he married Nancy Wallace on Sept 3, 1860 in the Registrar's Office, Cookstown. His father was Joseph of Urbal, Parish of Tamlaght. Nancy was 20, weaver, from Aghaveagh, Parish of Tamlaght. So Andrew was born before 1839. I don't have his mother's name but would love to.
Andrew and Nancy had at least two children Annie Jun 17, 1867 and Wallace Johnston Oct 30, 1867 both born Urbal. I am thinking there were likely more children. Nancy died before 1875 when Andrew remarried at Wood's Chapel, COI,  to Rachel Lennox, father John, mother Margaret Marshall. Andrew and Rachel had two children Lennox Johnston abt 1876 and Maggie abt 1879 in Co. Derry, as per the 1901 census.
Would appreciate any help with this family such as Andrew's mother, and his date of death (possibly June 30, 1912 in Workhouse, Magherafelt, and the deaths of his two wives.
Thank you
Peggy
Not really possible to have a child born on June 17 then a few months later on 30 Oct. Also, remember that the marriage lists residence of bridge and groom which may or may not be where their family lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Annie is baptised June 17, 1870. There were likely other children between parents' marriage in 1860 and Wallace's birth in 1867.
As for children of Andrew and Rachel, the 1911 census says 4 born, 2 living, who are Lennox and Maggie. I don't know the names of the other two. Maggie is not on the 1911 with her mother and brother Lennox who is still single.
Peggy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Having a look around now...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 20 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Incredibly easy to find further details. Suggest you search the following sources (all of which you should already be familiar with)-
1) https://www.familysearch.org/search/
which will allow you to find the records on
2) Irish Genealogy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of one more child, William, Aug 11, 1865 and his death, Feb 27, 1875 on Groni. Wonder who Eliza Johnston is, present at William's death - ? grandmother.  Looked for Annie's death but didn't find it. Wallace lived until Aug 30, 1876 which I had found before.
Andrew may be living with James Chesney in 1911 even though it says widower, and Rachel is still alive. Religion Baptist, born Armagh.
Peggy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if Andrew & wife had separated as Maggie marriage lists father as deceased.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 March 20 22:19 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder about that marriage of that Maggie. Says father Andrew, deceased, but says farmer and this Andrew consistently says carpenter. Still could well be her.
On the 1911, Maggie and Cornwall are living with aunt Mary Ann Scott, widow. Might be worth following up.
Peggy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 March 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I found the birth of one more child, William, Aug 11, 1865 and his death, Feb 27, 1875 on Groni. Wonder who Eliza Johnston is, present at William's death - ? grandmother.  Looked for Annie's death but didn't find it. Wallace lived until Aug 30, 1876 which I had found before.
Andrew may be living with James Chesney in 1911 even though it says widower, and Rachel is still alive. Religion Baptist, born Armagh.
Peggy

No, she is not....

Johnston   Rachel   68   Female   Head of Family   Methodist   Co Derry
Johnston   Lennox   34   Male   Son   Christian Brethren   Co Derry

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.