Author Topic: Too much Lincolnshire  (Read 487 times)

Offline DavNich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Too much Lincolnshire
« on: Monday 09 March 20 21:28 GMT (UK) »
My maternal grandparents are 5th cousins and their known ancestors  are all from Lincolnshire.

My paternal grandmother's known ancestors are all from Lincolnshire except for two of my 3rd Great grandfathers from Norfolk and Suffolk.

Thankfully my paternal grandfather was not of Lincolnshire.

I have many double cousins and some triple cousins with whom I have a DNA match. I have sextuple cousins who I presume have not tested their DNA.

I have read a little on endogamy and remain bemused.

I presume it applies to me but I am not sure how.

Does anyone know of a simple explanation please ?

Thank you
David

Ps
I have 23,501 matches on Ancestry (165 close matches)
and I have confirmed 123 (41 close matches)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Too much Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I sounds as though you have several cases of pedigree collapse in your tree, but I am not sure that Lincolnshire would normally be classed as an endogamous population.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline DavNich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I have one double 6G Grandfather so the upward collapse is minimal, but i several families where siblings married siblings of their spouse including my maternal grandparents who were 5th cousins as were the siblings who married.

As a result I have a cousin who is twice a second cousin, twice a seventh cousin from my maternal side and a tenth cousin from my paternal side. And  he does not look like me!

I have dna match through my 9GG (m 1632) of 1 segment of 8cMs, and most of the paper trail was there before the match.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Endogamy with regards to DNA is on a much greater scale than you describe.

A distant cousin of mine, who unfortunately I am not a match with, has a Hawaiian mother, father American, one grandfather with English roots.

22 matches classed as 2nd cousins.
Many more classed as 3rd cousins
21, 000 + in total classed as 4th cousins or closer.
57,000 + matches classed as 5th to 8th cousins.

78, 439 matches in total.

The mind boggles to think of the numbers if both her parents had been Hawaiian.

In contrast I have 32,913 in total, of which only 292 are classed as 4th cousins or closer.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline DavNich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Margaret

You have answered my question

My problem is the opposite.

I have about two thirds of both your matches and close matches.

Probably the same number of cousins but shared with fewer people :)

David