Author Topic: Rothenburg/Roehe in Australia  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Micheal D'Aubyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rothenburg/Roehe in Australia
« on: Monday 09 March 20 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for information on my grandfather, Bruce William Douglas Pursell. I never knew him, and he died in 1988. But at this stage I am looking for anyone who might've known his ex-wife. Her name was Inge Sabine Pursell (nee Rothenburg). There are some problems though:

Inge was a German refugee, who came to Australia after WWII. I have her marriage certificate to Bruce, but they divorced in 1977 in QLD (I have attached that file, which was given to me freely by the State Archive).

In order to come to Australia, Inge was sponsored by another German refugee who had arrived earlier. Karl Christian Friederich Roehe.

Immediately prior to Inge's marriage to my grandfather Bruce, Inge was known as Sabina Roehe. She clearly took Karl's surname, as they had lived together. However, there is no marriage or divorce certificate for them, as I am unable to search the online indexes after 1923 in the NSW State Archive. Ironically, that's because I am in Germany at the moment............

I am an experienced researcher (to a reasonable extent) and have searched for these people on and off for quite a few years. Being refugees, Karl and Inge do not appear on any electoral roll records as they are/were not citizens and therefore couldn't vote. Aside from various immigration records from NAA, the only information I have of Inge is on Bruce's marriage certificate. Her last known location as far as I can tell was somewhere in the Townsville area, as seen on their divorce certificate.

I have a paid world subscription to Ancestry and have also searched Trove. The immigration records all came from the NAA.

My only hope (unless someone can give me some new ideas or until I can get to the NSW State Archive in person so I can search the microfish for divorces that haven't been indexed yet) would be if someone could look up phone books from the late 70's - particularly in North Queensland, Brisbane and Sydney.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Micheal D'Aubyn

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: I S Rothenburg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 20 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Michael.

As per Rootschat policy you may not name someone who may still be living. Having said that she as she was born in 1928, it is possible that she is now deceased.

You will need to remove the divorce certificate also.

I suggest you alter the heading to I. S.

Given her age when married to Bruce, can we assume no children were born to the couple?

Added: The divorce was in QLD, so I don’t think you will find it recorded at NSW State Archives. NAA is indicating that the file is at Brisbane.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: I.S. Rothenburg POSSIBLY still living
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have modified the topic heading in MY post, perhaps you can modify the topic heading in your OPENING Post?  I am sure JJ can modify the heading in reply #1. 

The modifications likely need to be made within the first 24 hours of posting.

I agree, NSW State Archives would not likely have the Queensland divorce files.   Divorce laws changed in the mid to late 1970s, and a Federal Family Court took on the responsibilities to hear 'no fault' divorces, so each of the states' Supreme Courts were relieved of that responsibility.

I notice the 1963 marriage was noted on the image that likely should be removed.  It is clearly a divorce heard under the then 'new' 'no fault' divorce laws.  I should also note :   It is more than 50 years since the marriage was registered.  It is indexed online at NSW BDM.  Ref 1916/1963.  An official transcription  of that registration will provide quite a depth of detail about both the bride and the groom, their origins, their parents, and similar valuable family history information. The marriage registration is actually available for any member of the general public to purchase, as it is outside those 50 years.   :)

ADD,  Welcome to RChat  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Possible living people.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:20 GMT (UK) »
If you search the NSW State Archives for Bruce William Douglas PURSELL,  you will find his NSW divorce of 1962-63 and the name of an earlier wife and the name of the co-respondent as well. 

nrs-13495-26-144-814/1962

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Micheal D'Aubyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Inge Sabine Rothenburg/Karl Roehe in Australia
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
@Jamjar:

Correct. There were no children from that marriage. Tracking down either one of the Germans will help me figure out if there are any children from their marriage that might have known my grandfather Bruce.

References to either one of them being alive have been removed. I should not have framed the original post like that. I know their ages and there is no way that any of them are alive.

Again, a phone book look-up from the 70's would probably be my only option at this stage.

@JM:

I have the marriage certificate. It doesn't help me.

Regards,

Micheal D'Aubyn

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Rothenburg/Roehe in Australia
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM, I altered the heading.

Also, added to my post.

The divorce is located Brisbane, as per NAA.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Micheal D'Aubyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Brisbane or Townsville?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I.S. born 1928, so less than 100 years of age at the mo.
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Check out the 1962 divorce... particularly as it names a co-respondent... That is the legal expression for the 'third person' interfering in a marriage.   

The wording of the index listing for that 1962 divorce follows the usual practice that existed at that time....

Petitioner v Respondent and then names the Co-Respondent.

So it lists a Female Petitioner and then our OPs Grandfather, and then the next  female that he married.

ADD, notice the name and the then surname of the co-respondent....  :)  :)  :)

JM

Offline Micheal D'Aubyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 00:37 GMT (UK) »
JM,

You're hit the nail on the head. My grandfather's first wife, Helen Alexander (nee Muirhead) filed for divorce because Bruce was caught cheating with Inge. Hence, Inge was named as the co-respondent.

However, she was listed as being "Sabina Roehe". This, and the fact that she shared an address with Karl Roehe, are the reasons why I believe that her and Karl were married. But again, I have no hard evidence of this. It may have been a de-facto spousal relationship or she might have lied about her name to stay out of trouble during the divorce.

Micheal