Author Topic: Marie Fraser m. Rev Andrew Ramsay 1605  (Read 542 times)

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marie Fraser m. Rev Andrew Ramsay 1605
« on: Tuesday 10 March 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
My forbears are well documented as far back as Rev. Andrew Ramsay and his wife Marie  (Mary) Fraser (Frazer). She is mentioned in the Dictionary of National biography as his wife and the mother of his children Eleazer, Andrew, David and William. No dates given!
I found them on the clanmacfarlanegenealogy.info/genealogy website, which takes Mary Frazer's ancestry way back to the Norman conquest. A lot of the forbears named on this site are also well documented. She is the weak link! Given her probable dates, I feel she and her husband should feature in the OPR (I have found them for the christening of Eleazer and David).
Would someone please look for me? Here are the details I have of her:
Marie or Mary Fraser or Frazer; no DOB or place.
Father: Sir Andrew, 6th Lord of Durris
Mother: Helen Arbuthnot
Son Eleazer b. 1614 (OPR)
Son Andrew b.1619 (Dictionary of Nat. Biography)
Son David b. 1625 (OPR)
Son William - no dates.
Married, in 1605 (?) Rev Andrew Ramsay.
I would really like to find something other than the Clan MacFarlane site (which has been really useful in other respects) to link Marie to her parents.
Many thanks!
Sue
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Fraser m. Rev Andrew Ramsay 1605
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 17:30 GMT (UK) »
If it is the same family there is a half page biography of Rev Ramsay in the Fastii (reportedly born in 1574) and married December 1605 to Marie daughter of Sir Alexander Fraser of Durris (different forename for her father)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Given her probable dates, I feel she and her husband should feature in the OPR (I have found them for the christening of Eleazer and David).
Would someone please look for me?
You can do this yourself at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - all the OPRs are indexed and you can look at the index free of charge.

However as early as this the proportion of events recorded is quite small, as most of the earlier records, if they ever existed, have not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jonosue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you both, you have been very helpful.  :) The extract from the Fastii does confirm Marie's name and that of her father (which is the same as I thought).
Forfarian, you have enlightened me as to why, after trying every combination and place I could think of in the OPR, I failed to find what I was looking for!
Sue
Hicks, Thorburn, Bennett, Millar, Parsons

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 20 15:02 GMT (UK) »
17th Century Scotland was a very turbulent place and time especially for the Church.

The Reformation had only been some 50 years before and there had been a lot of infighting over the exact nature of the Church. Although there was little of the violence seen in England the Priests and clerics were basically forced out but nobody checked their baggage and they took all of the records with them

The attempt to "Anglicise" the Church of Scotland by Charles I and the subsequent Rebellion and Rise of the Covenanters, led to various battles  which were waged over this matter, and the intervention in the English Civil War which led in turn to Cromwell's invasion and subjugation  of Scotland. Later in the Century the Government moves to eradicate the Covenanters and any dissenters by all means open to them - including summary executions