Author Topic: state of emergency  (Read 7516 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: state of emergency
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure I'd fancy Hen's teeth as an alternative to 'loo paper!!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline tjugg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bosun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:35 GMT (UK) »
No loo paper locally this morning and I heard that the nearby 'orange' supermarket had no pet food on the shelves yet more to worry about!
Look out for local free advertising papers which in our area are stacked outside shops, ours comes out on a Friday so we usually pick up a handful primarily to light the woodburner but may need to use elsewhere!
Linda
Blunden Dorset and Surrey
Rayner Suffolk and Sussex
Norris and Wellman Dorset
Wheatley Yorkshire and Suffolk

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Our local supermarket had loads of pasta and rice last weekend.  Then came the report on TV & in the papers that people were stockpiling them and supermarkets were running out.  Guess what ran out today in our supermarket?  Are people crazy?  If they had listened carefully to reports at the beginning of this 'crisis', reports were that supermarkets had plenty of stock in their warehouses as THEY had been stockpiling for...the dreaded Brexit!!  The main problem now is that people are buying everything they can and the supermarkets are struggling to get the stock from the warehouses, that's all.  One woman was complaining that she wanted to make spaghetti Bolognese tonight but there was no spaghetti.  I pointed out that there were several packs of penne and fusilli but she said she "didn't know how to cook them"... ??? ???  (I notice she did have 4 jars of sauce in her cart though, so I don't think much 'cooking' goes on in her house!)
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 March 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Our local supermarket had loads of pasta and rice last weekend.  Then came the report on TV & in the papers that people were stockpiling them and supermarkets were running out.  Guess what ran out today in our supermarket?  Are people crazy?  If they had listened carefully to reports at the beginning of this 'crisis', reports were that supermarkets had plenty of stock in their warehouses as THEY had been stockpiling for...the dreaded Brexit!!  The main problem now is that people are buying everything they can and the supermarkets are struggling to get the stock from the warehouses, that's all.  One woman was complaining that she wanted to make spaghetti Bolognese tonight but there was no spaghetti.  I pointed out that there were several packs of penne and fusilli but she said she "didn't know how to cook them"... ??? ???  (I notice she did have 4 jars of sauce in her cart though, so I don't think much 'cooking' goes on in her house!)

Love it  ;D ;D ;D

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 March 20 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Whatever happened to handkerchiefs?

I've got loads, which I use & also have some large ones of my father's which are frequently used - he died in 1992 but always insisted on 'Pyramid' hankies; they certainly have lasted.

One woman was complaining that she wanted to make spaghetti Bolognese tonight but there was no spaghetti.  I pointed out that there were several packs of penne and fusilli but she said she "didn't know how to cook them"... ??? ???  (I notice she did have 4 jars of sauce in her cart though, so I don't think much 'cooking' goes on in her house!)
;D ;D ;D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 March 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hand sanitizer and hand wash were out of stock a couple of weeks ago. There is, however, on a lower shelf a selection of soap!  Do people know how to use it?  I don't know, because even on the films showing people how to wash their hands they use liquid soap out of a dispenser! (I was taught at a very young age how to wash my hands.) I can still remember the smell of carbolic soap at school and also at my grandmother's!

FS

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 March 20 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I read somewhere that if you use solid soap you shouldn't share it. However, surely the same applies to a dispenser, you touch the top before you wash your hands. My problem is that if I wash my hands for 20 seconds under running water in the sink in the bathroom, the water gets too hot. I have to do it in the kitchen where I have a mixer tap.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 March 20 19:30 GMT (UK) »
It's pretty crazy over here too.  My friend went to 5 places to get some toilet paper but found none (her regular shop, not to stock up).  Our supermarkets weren't limiting quantities, so you can imagine the insanity! 

I have rice / pasta / bog roll on hand, but might be looking for some canned stuff, as I use it a lot for cooking.  If I can't find cans, I'll take the raw kidney beans, black beans or lentils - just have to soak overnight and they're good to go. 

Very funny story about the shopper who 'didn't know how to cook' other types of pasta!  LOL  Well, I have to pick up a few things on Monday, so I'll see how it goes...

Our PM's wife has the virus, so they are both in quarantine...

All the best to every country dealing with this.

Regards
Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 March 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »

My go to cookery book in times of crisis is, 'The Bean Book' by Rose Elliot.

Lots of dried bean recipes, - but you can use tins too.

It never fails!

Romilly  :D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.