Author Topic: state of emergency  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: state of emergency
« Reply #162 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I have not had an email from Sainsburys but do have a delivery booked.  Just looked at W'rose and they have slots for March 26 onwards - all I need now is one of their discount vouchers  ;D  ;D

Yes - No sign of them so far this month  :(
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Allow people over 70 to decide for themselves. Advise them to stay indoors and avoid contact with others. If they decide not to, then make them aware that they may be refused medical treatment. I presume if the Government goes ahead with this they will also include people younger than 70 who are vulnerable - those recovering from serious illnesses or who have asthma? Has this really been thought out properly?

I agree this would be a sensible approach - but how do you implement the bit in bold?

If an ITU ward has one bed free and a 70 year old refusnik is brought in with acute respiratory distress do you apply the policy and tell them they cannot be treated (i.e. tell them they are very likely to die), or do you give them the bed?

And if they are given the bed, what do you do when the next patient through the door is a 30 year old single parent who followed the advice and did their best to self-isolate? Does the 70 year old now get turfed out?

Healthcare professionals are going to have to make some terrible and traumatic decisions in the coming months. All of us need to spare a thought for them.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
It's getting serious. There are no free peanuts on the bar in my local today!

Martin

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a phone call from my daughter and we have decided not to have any physical contact with her or her family for the time being. Playing safe really.

She has decided that the younger grandson who has Asthma will not be going to school again until at least after the Easter holidays. Evidently, a group of children in his year will be returning to school tomorrow after a trip to France. I think this is sensible. Both my daughter and her husband have underlying health conditions too.

Everyone, no matter what age must decide for themselves what is best for them and theirs. We are all between a rock and a hard place really.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
But HOW can it work??
Who is going to get in the shopping for all those elderly house-confined as it seems that the delivery services are oversubscribed, and not everyone has a younger relative or friend with the ability and time to manage shopping for them as well as their own chores? Is Dominic Cumming or another special adviser going to nip round with loo rolls, pasta and baked beans?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
May I helpfully  ;D make a suggestion?

Should there be any Rootschatters who have had an Ancestry DNA test but not yet put their family tree on Ancestry and decide to self isolate in the coming weeks, now would be a good time to put that right?

Purely unselfish motives, of course!!!  ::)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 15 March 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking such time could be spent sorting out all those bits of paper with "vital" information on it that we all, of all ages, tend to accumulate in our researches.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 15 March 20 17:03 GMT (UK) »
But HOW can it work??
Who is going to get in the shopping for all those elderly house-confined as it seems that the delivery services are oversubscribed, and not everyone has a younger relative or friend with the ability and time to manage shopping for them as well as their own chores? Is Dominic Cumming or another special adviser going to nip round with loo rolls, pasta and baked beans?

Oh how I agree with that, it’s a round trip of 20 miles to our nearest shop, and my neighbours don’t have a car.

Incidentally 400 people a day attend our local A&E, if they turn away the cut fingers and too much to drinks that will free up a few staff.

Mike

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 15 March 20 17:06 GMT (UK) »
But HOW can it work??

Exactly  :) 

I've never done on-line shopping, and hopefully don't EVER intend to - I want to see what I'm buying and make my own decisions on which pack of meat, fish, etc. to purchase.

My only daughter lives 100 miles away, so no help there.  My best friends are now both over 70.  Neighbours - not sure, as we're not that close to any of them.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY