Author Topic: Wiltshire Assizes - Abbott OSBORN  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Kylie Watson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LANCASTER ASSIZES - ABBOTT OSBORN 1800
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 March 20 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am not Maddy,  but I am in New South Wales, Australia and my library card from the National Library if Australia gives me access (e resources) to many historic digitised newspapers. 

Maddy has transcribed a newspaper cutting and cited her primary source in her post.   :)

Welcome to RootsChat.  Best place for family history help.  :)

JM

Thanks JM, that's correct.

Kylie, I search online (free) British Library Newspapers using my Australian National Library card. Not sure if you are in Australia? You can apply for a library card here:
https://www.nla.gov.au/getalibrarycard/

You can also search newspapers at various paid sites eg Ancestry, findmypast, British Newspaper Archive etc.  :)

NSW State Library's card is great too.   :) :) :)  no charge to NSW residents...

Keep up the great work Maddy.

JM

I didn't know about the Library Card!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LANCASTER ASSIZES - ABBOTT OSBORN 1800
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 March 20 08:33 GMT (UK) »
He was convicted of stealing a bank note to the value of £40 in a dwelling house. Death sentence commuted to transportation for life.

That is recited in the commutation of sentence document HO13/12/476. You can view it on FindMyPast: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FCCC%2FHO13%2F012%2F0483&parentid=TNA%2FCCC%2F2A%2FHO13%2F00015412
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WILTSHIRE ASSIZES - ABBOTT OSBORN
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
The Wiltshire Family History Society

http://www.wiltshirefhs.co.uk

have produced a CD of Marriage Licence Bonds  (Sarum Diocese Marriage Bonds 1609-1837)

I just bought this from the Berks FHS.  Be warned - it's almost unusable.  It can only be used if the CD is actually in the drive, and of course most laptops and notebooks no longer have a CD drive.

I was planning to copy it on to my laptop, as I have done with other discs such as Berks Marriage Index (copyright allows this for your personal use), but it isn't possible.

It's also very poorly put together.  You can only search by bride, groom, or bondsman, and you can't browse by year or place.  And it's not easy to read.  It's all presented in closely-typed lines with no columns, and looks as if it was typed up in about 1965.

I paid £15 for this and feel well ripped off.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Assizes - Abbott OSBORN
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 04 June 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sloe Gin,

I see your problem is that you can't play the CD. Do you still have access to  CD player that you could connect to your computer?

If you do,  and I agree most PCs don't have disk players these days,  so I invested in an Apple DVD player mainly because I have built up a collection of disks on CD from various FHS - If only more of them allowed E-downloads that would alleviate this problem.

I bought this CD from the Wilts FHS a few years ago and was able to open it using MS Excel. However, assuming yours is the same as mine,  I was able to drag the files over to my home folder (ancestry records) on my iMac. I do that with all my disks so don't have to keep installing a CD.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 04 June 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Alan.  I tried something like that, but as I don't have MS Office installed it didn't work. 
The whole thing is so shoddily put together.  It looks like something out of the 1960s, and the installation instructions must have been written about 20 years ago!  I might just return it and ask for a refund.  I wouldn't mind paying a fiver for it but I expect better for £15.

I just thought I'd warn anyone reading this thread, since it was mentioned here.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Kylie Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 04 June 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
Sloe Gin.. if you use Gmail or Google Chrome, there is a free, Open Source alternative to Microsoft Excel called Google Sheets.

You can even download it here:
https://www.google.com.au/sheets/about/

I wouldn't discount the CD, although it's User Interface isn't as pretty or doesn't look/work as seamless as others you may have used, there may be valuable information on there you've been looking for.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 04 June 20 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kylie.  I use Open Office which is a similar open source, and normally have no problems opening MS Office documents, but this CD only seems to recognise Office. 
The point being that it should be easily transferable to a modern device, but it is not.

Offline Kylie Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 04 June 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Kylie.  I use Open Office which is a similar open source, and normally have no problems opening MS Office documents, but this CD only seems to recognise Office. 
The point being that it should be easily transferable to a modern device, but it is not.

I understand.. good luck  :)