Author Topic: 3 Generations of James Nichol from Tyrone?  (Read 477 times)

Offline C. Nichol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
3 Generations of James Nichol from Tyrone?
« on: Friday 13 March 20 03:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at 3 generations of James Nichol born in 1883, 1858-ish, and unknown on the final. They were coal miners originating from Tyrone, with the middle one (Born 1856-1861 depend on what documents you read) moving to Hedley Hope/Tow Law, Durham, England before 1881.
His wife was Margaret Elizabeth Harper 1858-1938, also believed to be from Tyrone. In the Tow Law area James and Margaret had several children, including James, William, Eliza, Joseph and Samuel. The majority of the family eventually made it to Pennsylvania, USA (from England). Nothing more on the oldest James but a name, so it may or may not be correct. The only variations in the last name that I've seen so far are Nichol, Nicoll, Nicholl. Have not seen any S at the end.
Another interesting observation is that the Harper and Nichol families were very close through these generations. They all originated from Tyrone, traveling together to England and eventually to the USA, 1904. They were even neighbors in Pittsburgh, PA.
Margaret Harper's father is believed to be Samuel Harper, born about 1826 in Lock Patrick area of Ireland. He had several children with his wife, believed to be Eliza Williamson in Tryone starting about 1858 also.

Thanks in advance for any information or tips you can share.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Generations of James Nichol from Tyrone?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 20 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Welcome.

None of the surname spellings you have suggested, are returning any James born in 1883 in Tyrone in the civil index.

As an 1883 registration should be available to view on https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp , can you confirm where you got the date from? Is it an approxmation based on later records?

Do you know any further details, such as his mum's maiden name? Do you have any idea whereabouts in Tyrone?  When did he go to England and/or Pennsylvania?

The more details you provide that are already known to you (and that are hopefully from source materials), the easier it should be for others to offer help with your search, and also saves duplication of effort.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline C. Nichol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I apologize for not being more specific. I have updated my original post with more detail that will hopefully help.
Thank you for your quick response!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at 3 generations of James Nichol born in 1883, 1858-ish, and unknown on the final. They were coal miners originating from Tyrone, with the middle one (Born 1856-1861 depend on what documents you read) moving to Hedley Hope/Tow Law, Durham, England before 1881.

This is causing the confusion, first in bold gives impression all 3 were born in Tyrone
but second bold means the 1883 James must have been born England
So Margaret Harper his mother?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Harper's father is believed to be Samuel Harper, born about 1826 in Lock Patrick area of Ireland. He had several children with his wife, believed to be Eliza Williamson in Tryone starting about 1858 also.

Perhaps Leckpatrick which is both the name of a townland and a civil parish-
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/strabane-lower/leckpatrick/leckpatrick/
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/leckpatrick/

Can't see a likely marriage (civil registration of non-Catholic marriages started 1845). Civil registration of births started in 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline C. Nichol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »

This is causing the confusion, first in bold gives impression all 3 were born in Tyrone
but second bold means the 1883 James must have been born England
So Margaret Harper his mother?

What I was trying to say is that the family originated from Tyrone, not that they were all born in Tyrone.
Yes, 1883 was in England. His parents, Margaret and James were born in Ireland around 1858 time frame.
I hope that clarifies things.