Author Topic: Birth record for John Cam(p)bell 4 Oct 1897  (Read 1061 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth record for John Cam(p)bell 4 Oct 1897
« on: Friday 13 March 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters

I'm wondering if there are any birth records for a John Cambell/Campbell in Australia (I know - pretty vague) 4 Oct 1897?

This is for the process of elimination as the John Campbell I'm looking for was born in London, England, but I cannot trace him after 1902 and wondered if he'd been sent abroad as a child emigrant.  I can't find him on any passenger lists or the Rootschat database of British Home Children though.

Some DNA comparisons have thrown up a John Campbell born 1897 who lived/died in Australia and is supposed to have been born there.  If it is the correct person, he may have later given his birthplace as Australia for simplicity, or because that had been assumed at some point and there was no point contradicting it, or he'd forgotten (although the journey to Australia must have been difficult to forget for a 4/5/6 year old) or wanted to forget.

I'm waiting for the family (they don't live in Australia) who've responded to my DNA questions to send me a photo and a death certificate, but they don't know any more than that. 

Please could you let me know the best places to look for birth records and census records?

Thanks.
Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record for John Cam(p)bell 4 Oct 1897
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 20 10:49 GMT (UK) »
There were 3 births registered in London Oct 1897, 2 had a middle name and the one below.

John Campbell 10/1897 St Giles London

Can I assume from your post that you have the 1901 census?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Lots of John CAMPBELLS born in Australia in 1897.  There are no useful census records, most were destroyed.  Civil registration records are kept separately for each State and Territory,  you will find the online links on the resources board.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

I'm waiting for the family (they don't live in Australia) who've responded to my DNA questions to send me a photo and a death certificate, but they don't know any more than that. 

Surely if they are related to him they know where and when he died and who he married.

Debra  :)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ColC but I do have John Campbell's birth cert and know it's the right person, born in England, and also have relevant census records.  I'd be interested in Australian census records or any other records showing someone with this name and date of birth.

My query is to see which John Campbells were actually born in Australia, rather than saying they were, but as Debra has said - lots of them.  It sounds like only the year is available Debra?  If the month was available too that might narrow it down?

I'll have to see what the DNA connection says, and look at the death certificate when I receive it to see where he died.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
The NSW and Queensland indexes allow you to search with a date of birth and births for Tasmania are all digitised online.  There is nothing showing for any of them.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra.  Hard to know which region to start in isn't it, but that eliminates some.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 March 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Debra I missed your post about the DNA relatives knowing about him.  Well, they don't!  Sorry I don't know their story but they don't live in Australia and are waiting for another relative to send them details.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 March 20 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I now have the death certificate for John Campbell.  He died in New Zealand in August 1975 and the info on the cert (so much more than on a UK death cert!) states he had lived in NZ for 59 years, meaning he moved there in 1916 when he would have been 18 or 19 years old.  The certificate states that he was born in Australia but no more than that, and that his father was a chemist.  Presumably this was the person he regarded as his father in Australia, unless it was fiction.  I don't know whether chemist meant a pharmacist or someone in the chemical industry.

So no nearer exactly where he lived in Australia unfortunately, but there might be passenger records between Australia and New Zealand to show where he left from.

New Zealand death certificates have so much info on them, so now I know who he married and when/where, and how many children he had.  But that's for the New Zealand spot in the forum.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 20 23:53 GMT (UK) »
His marriage certificate should name both his parents and give a place of birth.

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/marriage