Author Topic: Birth record for John Cam(p)bell 4 Oct 1897  (Read 1143 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record for John Cam(p)bell 4 Oct 1897
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 20 02:51 GMT (UK) »
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dundee.

Assuming his death certificate took information from his marriage certificate or info recorded at the time (that is an assumption!), then the parent info is solely surnames i.e. Campbell.

His place of birth is given as Australia, which is not helpful!  I think he is the person born in England and probably arrived in Australia as a 5 or 6 year old, with or without a guardian (who could not have been a parent) and it may have been easier later to just say he was born in Australia.  Or that could be an assumption on the death certificate or from information supplied at the time of death.

The death certificate does say how long he lived in NZ, which puts him at arriving from Australia in 1916. 

I am hoping the DNA linked descendants can put me in touch with direct descendants who may have anecdotes and other info such as the marriage certificate as NZ ones are expensive to order! 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The NZ bdm online index listing for his death also gives his dob as per the topic heading.  Does that dob match with the 1897 GRO birth cert?

NZ bdm printout option for the marriage will have plenty of details, far more than scant English ones.  :)

ADD so the marriage cert will have first hand info given by John himself, whereas the d.c. clearly cannot. The dob was not usually recorded on m.c..

His marriage certificate should name both his parents and give a place of birth.

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/marriage

Debra  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes dob matches so along with the DNA evidence, pretty sure it's him.

Have to wait now for info from his  descendants.

British marriage certs from that era are often full of fiction as no-one checked so his might be similar...
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I now have the marriage cert which gives confusing details, as you'd expect if a child was shipped abroad.

He's given his mother's name as Maud Campbell nee Matthews, but I don't think this was his mother at all.  Maud was an aunt and Matthews the surname of his remarried grandmother.

The birth cert states born in Sydney, Australia, so if there is a birth record for John Campbell, 4 Oct 1897, to a Maud Campbell nee Matthews, then he is not the person I'm trying to track down and I'm just trying to make facts fit!

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »
4 Oct 1897
NSW bdm online
Birth date for John, son of Florence CAMERON ... no father's name displaying on the index.
Ref 9166, registered Sydney.

I have not checked further,  sorry,  but one finger typing into NSW bdm dialogue search box is even more difficult than one finger typing into RChat dialogue box.

ADD
I have not searched for Florence,  either. BUT it is likely this infant's mum was not married to his father at that time.  Baby may have been fostered out, formal adoption did not come to NSW until the 1920s. 

JM  on e reader

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I need to take a look at this online info and delve further. 

So far looking promising. Now I just need to find him on a passenger list but been looking for a few years although not recently. As more become digitised I might succeed.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I've edited this post as I have just double checked my names and sources, and realise that I have muddled up a few Maud Crook records resulting in adding up 2 + 2 to get 5.  So if any of you read the original about Alice Maud Mabel - ignore!

John Campbell moved to NZ before he was old enough to vote, but his aunt, born in 1882, Maude Crook may have gone to Australia herself. She was in the 1901 UK census but might have emigrated later and turn up on an electoral register somewhere.

Because I now realise I have been tracking the wrong Maud Crook, I need to start again with her and see if I can find her UK marriage/death, or on a passenger list perhaps with John Campbell with her.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Maud's full name is Alice Maud Mary Crook, often abbreviated to Alice MM Crook as there are a few of these in the UK and Australian records for someone about the same age, I've yet to work out which is the right Maud as otherwise she was in two places at once!  I'll probably have to buy a few certificates to be certain.
Crook, Bannister, Warren