Author Topic: Looking for the burial of William ROWLES  (Read 1569 times)

Offline TROOPER ROLLO

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the burial of William ROWLES
« on: Friday 13 March 20 16:17 GMT (UK) »
William Rowles was born on Saturday,  1st October 1859 at Witney, Oxfordshire, England.

He married Louisa Poole (née Baker) on 20th May 1888 at St. Paul’s Church, Bedminster.
Her first husband, William Poole died early in 1888 at Axbridge, age 48.
She had married him on 25th January 1877 at St. Luke’s Church, Bedminster.
Louisa died on 5th July 1917 at 139 Pape Avenue, Toronto, age 58.
She was buried in St. John’s, Mount Pleasant, Toronto.

He emigrated to Canada arriving on 1st May 1890 in Quebec. He sailed on the ship “Ontario”.
He had with him his wife Louisa and 4 children; Eliza Jane born 1877, Florence Maude born 1881, Frederick William born 1884 and Charles Uriah born 1886. All these were children of William Poole.

He enlisted in the 75th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force on the 7th August 1915 in Toronto. He lied about his age taking 10 years off the correct date.
He is listed as a ‘Pork Packer’, and his address as 270 Pape Avenue, Toronto.

He was discharged as ‘Medically Unfit’. He was described only fit for base camp duties and as there was no vacant posts available was sent to be discharged.
He was sent back to Canada on the ‘Metagama’, arriving in New Brunswick on 16th March 1917.
He died on Monday, 13th May 1935 at Mississauga, age 64. His occupation was given as ‘Farmer’.

CAN ANYONE FIND HIS PLACE OF BURIAL.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR THE BURIAL OF WILLIAM ROWLES
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the death of William from? My hand-dandy calculator says he was 76 not 64 when he died.

Louisa was buried at St. Johns which is off of Woodbine/Kingston Rd. The person listed next to her death registration was buried at Mount Pleasant. 

I would imagine William lays with his wife but there doesn't seem to be a stone for her.  If you email the cemetery info@stjohnsnorwaycemetery.ca they should be able to tell you if he is buried with her.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline TROOPER ROLLO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 20 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don,

Thank you for your reply. Yes the age at death was way out. Don't know why.
His date of death was listed on the 'Circumstances of Death' card.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I think his age might have been calculated from the birthdate on his Attestation form. According to the stated Oct 1870 birthday he would have been about 64 when he passed away in May of 1935.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 20 17:19 GMT (UK) »
"Farm Records" meant the records were stored at the old Ag Research Facility in Ottawa.

What I cannot find is William in the 1921 Census nor any voters list but there are 3-4 records of a William crossing the border at Niagara Falls NY and a couple have Pape Ave and Regent St. 

However, a 1919 crossing has a William heading for Florida and there is an index of a 1935 death at Wauchula, Hardee Florida.  I checked the 1930 Census of Florida there and you have a meat packer age 70. 

Don

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 20 17:26 GMT (UK) »
That Florida finding might explain why there doesn't appear to be a death record in Ontario.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline TROOPER ROLLO

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the burial of William ROWLES
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DonM.
Your research was brilliant and after years of searching tells me where he ended up.
He certainly wasn't afraid to travel.
I have checked online but could not find his last resting place but must assume he was buried in
Wauchula as I don't know whether cremations were taking place at this time.
I would not expect there to be a headstone either.
Thank you for your help.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome. 

I looked for a burial yesterday but couldn't see one.  You would have to order a copy of his death from Florida to find that out.  He may have been shipped back to Toronto. 

Don

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Wm Rowles also shows on the 1935 census of Wauchaula Hardee

Wm. Rowle aged 76 - born England. Retired.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MNVP-C4G

Enumerators started working the 1935 census on April 8, 1935, or “as soon as possible thereafter.” It also directed the selected enumerators  complete returns prepared on or before the 15th of May, 1935.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk