Author Topic: Simeon/Simion,Simieon Goodwin Staveley 1787  (Read 498 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simeon/Simion,Simieon Goodwin Staveley 1787
« on: Friday 13 March 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wondered whether anyone might be able to help me please?

I have Simeon's marriage to Sarah Barlow in 1814 and the 1841 and 1851 census records and the baptisms of their children but what I don't have is Simeon's baptism.

Is there an online site that has Staveley's parish record images please for this time frame (select baptisms don't have him listed but I prefer to look at actual registers as I have found loads of people that were not transcribed for the usual websites)?? I have read the marriage register and have found other Goodwin marriages which are not recorded on Ancestry or Find My Past.

The most intreguing marriage being Thomas Goodwin of Eckington and Elizabeth Shipstone (?) of Staveley at St John's 1787. It is intreguing as according Simeon's death registration he was born c1787.
GOODWIN, SIMEON 67 GRO Reference: 1854 J Quarter in CHESTERFIELD UNION IN THE COUNTY OF DERBY Volume 07B Page 351

In 1841 his birth year is estimated at 1796 and in 1851 it is around 1787 just like his death record.

If anyone can help I would be hugely grateful as I need to get through this brick wall!!

Best wishes,
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simeon/Simion,Simieon Goodwin Staveley 1787
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Like you I am unable to find a record of Simeon's baptism.

Derbyshire Record Office supposedly have parish registers for Staveley from 1558 onwards. Unless some super sleuth manages to find something for you - it may mean contacting them.
Here is what they supposedly hold;

https://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D661%2f&pos=1

Just in case you don't know there is a great website for Derbyshire (doesn't include parish registers, but does have lots of other old records which may be of use in the future to you. (Please forgive me if you already know of this site -- it's called 'Yesterdays Journeys'.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~spire/Yesterday/index.htm

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simeon/Simion,Simieon Goodwin Staveley 1787
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Like you I am unable to find a record of Simeon's baptism.

Derbyshire Record Office supposedly have parish registers for Staveley from 1558 onwards. Unless some super sleuth manages to find something for you - it may mean contacting them.
Here is what they supposedly hold;

https://calmview.derbyshire.gov.uk/calmview/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D661%2f&pos=1

Just in case you don't know there is a great website for Derbyshire (doesn't include parish registers, but does have lots of other old records which may be of use in the future to you. (Please forgive me if you already know of this site -- it's called 'Yesterdays Journeys'.

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~spire/Yesterday/index.htm

Hi there,
thanks very much for trying to find the baptism and for the links. Yesterdays Journeys looks really good for lots of documents you usually have to hunt for ages for! Your help is much appreciated.
Have a good weekend.
Best wishes, Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)