Author Topic: Email browsers  (Read 1843 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Email browsers
« on: Saturday 14 March 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
For years I've used Thunderbird to download emails from Google, but now it won't work. I'm not the only one getting the message "Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com".  I've tried all the solutions given when I google the problem and none of them seem to work.  I can access Gmail by logging on to Google and I saved it to the Bookmark toolbar, so now I don't even have to log in, just click on the icon.  However, it won't let me save emails to document files unless I save as a web page - for instance when I make a purchase, I usually save the emails relating to family history etc.

So now I've decided to try a new FREE email browser.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Not Microsoft Outlook for some reason that doesn't work properly for me and I don't really like its set up.   I've looked at SeaMonkey (which looks like Thunderbird), has anyone used it?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Email browsers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I've decided I'll just use Chrome and ignore Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey - which apparently is a Mozilla product anyway.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 20 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Mozilla was originally Open Source and free to use but recently accepted 'investment'of $400 million from Google, in their desperate quest to monetize all the web and World Domination.  I regularly install other browsers but find faults with most of them and stick to Epic. In the past months I've tried TOR ( the onion router) and Microsoft Edge, Brave and they all plaster the internet with advertising.  Apart from the absolute nuisance to us users I am now feeling sorry for the duped advertisers who are paying a fortune for ads which just annoy us and have no relevance to our purchasing desires. I do use Gmail and Thunderbird to download them but occasionally sign into Gmail directly. I recently looked at alternative email downloaders and concluded they are all in the game of harvesting your private info for their gain so what is truly free anymore.  Wikipedia will list browsers which include email downloaders and separate email handlers but it's become suck it and see.  If you find another alternative please let me know. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_email_clients
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 20 15:14 GMT (UK) »

Mozilla Corporation
From 2004 to 2014, the majority of revenue came from a deal with Google, which was the default search engine in the Firefox web browser. In November 2014, Mozilla signed a five-year partnership with Yahoo, making Yahoo Search the default search engine for Firefox in the US.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 20 15:24 GMT (UK) »
An expanded Firefox search deal with Google helped push Mozilla's annual revenue up 8 percent to $562 million for 2017 -- money that should come in handy as the nonprofit tries to salvage what's good about the internet.

Firefox-generated search revenue
The lion's share of Mozilla's revenue -- $542 million, according to the 2017 tax reports it released Tuesday -- comes from deals that send our queries in Firefox to search engines such as Google, Yandex and Baidu. An earlier deal with Yahoo ended in an as-yet unresolved lawsuit with its owner, Verizon. Mozilla is paid in proportion to the search traffic it sends to search sites, which make money by sometimes showing search ads alongside search results.
The internet is awash with fake facts ...or at least misleading.  When they say 'not for profit' they are misleading you in the same way that leading charities are paying executives massive salaries.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 March 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, are you having problems with your mail program, the one that you use for receiving, creating and sending emails or with your browser, the program that you use for looking at websites? It's an important difference and your original comment wasn't clear.

I use Thunderbird as my email program and Chrome as my browser and haven't been experiencing any recent problems.

Martin

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 March 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the interesting information regarding Mozilla etc.

Martin - it's Thunderbird I'm having problems with perhaps because I use gmail.  I can get it up on my laptop but it just doesn't work, a little blue circle just keeps going round and round and etc.  I also get a message which states:
Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com

I went on line to see if there was anything I could do to fix this problem and despite trying many supposed fixes, nothing works.  People have been having the problem for over 2 years but it seems it has been worse since both Mozilla and Thunderbird updated late last year, although the problem only started with me a couple of days ago.   So if Thunderbird still works for you, then I think you are one of the lucky ones. 

Anyway, I've now downloaded Chrome and I have Gmail as a tab so at least I can view my emails without having to keep logging in to Google.  I have all the files showing that I save some emails too until I've decided where else to put them, or until whatever I'm working on has been finished.  However, what I can no longer do is "Save As" and actually save the emails to folders in My Documents.  Now, even though an email is open, it will only save as a complete web page - which is better than nothing I suppose.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 March 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »

"Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com"

Never had any problem getting gmail from either gmail account on T/bird

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 March 20 18:20 GMT (UK) »
My settings are exactly the same as yours (not the email address obviously but still gmail) and it just doesn't work and when I click on Get messages - in the past they automatically arrived - I now have to log into Google.  I log in, click that I'm OK with Thunderbird opening the emails, but I still get the "Authentication failure while connecting to server imap.gmail.com"

It's just so annoying.  I'm OK using Chrome to open the emails but it's slower than Thunderbird.