Author Topic: Coronavirus: Postcard bid to help self-isolating neighbours  (Read 1363 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus: Postcard bid to help self-isolating neighbours
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Skype is available, free, to everybody who has a PC. I don't know about Android, or Apple products.

Definitely available on iPhones and iPad and I presume Android as well as long as you have data. I use it all the time, it's very useful for keeping in touch with people who live abroad as well. WhatsApp is another good free one, when my sister was on holiday in Australia I spoke to her every day - no charge and it was clearer than a normal phone call.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but the most vulnerable are the very ones who don’t have any contacts like Skype etc.
No computers ,no iPads, .
There are very many .
They shop in person ,a little each day, just to get out and to be able to easily carry what they have bought.
They live week to week ,queue for their pension in cash at the P.O.
I know they will be getting fewer as they get older but there are still some and they are deserving of consideration.
It is alright celebrating  Britain’s  great victories, but they did not happen without the efforts of people who are now old and needy and being by-passed by those who cannot visualise life without gadgets .
Sorry, this is not aimed at any of RootsChat’s  posters.
But so many just do not  undersatand.
Viktoria.

Offline jksdelver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I think it is underestimated those of around may age (75) who have  access to computers/phones . I know all the people I know have them. Go into any coffee shop or cafe and look around they are either using them or talking about emails and texts.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »
That exactly is what I mean, I am not being disrespectful but the people of whom I speak can not afford to frequent cafes, they can no more pay cafe prices than take a cruise !
I have no idea what Pension Credit is ,but State Pension is under £1,000
 every four weeks .That is about the maximum.
Not a lot when people were not able to augment their pensions  by  joining ’ their employers’ schemes because there weren’t any.
So honestly ,computers, iPads etc are beyond their income , and they do not trust such things either, certainly not for paying bills.
There are some really savvy old people who are perfectly at home with IT
but others who have never touched a computer or iPad and don’t own a mobile phone.
Things are moving too fast,no banks in small towns, hardly any Post Offices,
It is taken too much for granted that everyone is a computer wizard, can manage their banking online safely etc.
If only a few more years had been allowed, and the immense changes had been slower so my generation and the few people who are older than I am
would not feel so completely left behind.
My son gets a bit exasperated with my non savvyness!
I told him the other week to go to the kitchen and make one of those cakes he likes so much !
Well he couldn’t could he!
So neh neh neh neh neeeh neh!
Honestly ,the people of my generation who have no experience with IT are many, the modern world has left us behind.
The whizz kids who are perfectly at home with IT can not put themselves back to the day before they ever met a computer,they cannot teach someone who has never met one .
So I venture to say whilst many elderly and old people are very capable ,especially if their job entailed using computers , there are very many for whom computers are a frightening mystery.
Viktoria

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 02:01 GMT (UK) »

My church might close which I find really sad,

Mine has a live video link for Sunday and other special services.
Cowban

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I suggested last week having a service in the churchyard if the weather is nice, my worry is people might not come back to church once they have lost the habit

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 08:22 GMT (UK) »
I think these cards being used to offer help to people who are self-isolating are great but how do you know who is self-isolating?  I don't know many of our neighbours so have no idea of their age or vulnerability.  It would be helpful if there was a pre-arranged signal that people could put in their windows to say that they may need help at some point.  I also feel it would be useful that if people don't need help because they have a good support group around them, they don't waste generous people's time and let them know that they are OK.

Just some thoughts.
Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

guest189040

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I think these cards being used to offer help to people who are self-isolating are great but how do you know who is self-isolating?  I don't know many of our neighbours so have no idea of their age or vulnerability.  It would be helpful if there was a pre-arranged signal that people could put in their windows to say that they may need help at some point.  I also feel it would be useful that if people don't need help because they have a good support group around them, they don't waste generous people's time and let them know that they are OK.

Just some thoughts.
Rishile

We have had one put through our door yesterday.

We have the name of the person offering help and their contact telephone number.

Do we know them, no.

So if help is wanted all we would do is contact them via their mobile and explain that we are self isolating.

My suggestion is that you type up a contact sheet and post a printout through all your neighbours doors, on the sheet you could also suggest that they replicate your action.

There is also a Community Website that you could setup one for your street, it is called Nextdoor, and it operates like a mini forum.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Joan Bakewell or it may have been Esther Rantzen mentioned "Next Door" on Radio 4 "P.M." in a spot about strategies for older people coping with isolation.
Cowban