Author Topic: Hemming family  (Read 499 times)

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hemming family
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all. 

Having started this family history malarkey about ten years ago, I think I've made an error going up from my 3 x great grandfather, William Hemming.  One of his sons, Thomas b1830 Chipping Norton was my 2 x great grandfather.  In the '41 census, Thomas was with father William, b1784 out of county and a groom, mother Martha b1796 Oxfordshire and siblings.  I'm happy with that.  In the '51 William is now widowed (I believe that Martha died 1849 in Chipping Norton), b1783 in "Shearsby, Warwickshire" and a labourer.  No place of that name exists in Warwickshire so I think that's a transcription error.  William has two daughters and two grandchildren living with him in Chipping Norton. In the '61, he is a retired coachman, b1781 in Studley, Warwickshire.  He's living with his son, William b1822 in Chipping Norton.

So who is William?  I've found a marriage of a William Hemming to a Martha Derrick in 1810 in Evesham but that would make Martha 14 so unlikely  ??? .  I also can't find a birth of a Martha Derrick. 

There's probably something obvious I've missed here but I've got brain fog and can't move forward.

Thanks.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hemming family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the image of the 1851 Census it looks like he was born in Studley. There is a baptism which may be him

William Heming baptised Studley 11 August 1782, parents Francis and Ann.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I’m confused by two things here.  One is his occupation as a labourer whereas before he was a groom then in the ‘61 he was a retired coachman.  On the baptism of his daughter Elizabeth, 1821 he was a post boy.  Then the names of his parents.  The names Francis and Ann don’t appear anywhere else which I find unusual ...

I said I had brain fog  ;)

Offline LindseyB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Another question in my mind is that William Hemming married Martha Derrick in 1810 yet didn't have their first child until 1821 then seven between 1821 and 1834 ...?

** Since found an earlier child, Martha, born 1819 **