Author Topic: DNA results help please! Chapman/Hirst in Yorkshire  (Read 874 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results help please!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Itís on her birth certificate as Violet Chapman Hirst and her mother is Mary Hirst.

She was an only child but her mother had a brother called William and a sister called Joan

Any other tiny bits of information about the family e.g. who were witnesses at Violet's wedding, any further information on William or Joan, did your Father ever meet any of the family, did Violet live with Mary until she married, etc?

Offline ryan1591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results help please! Chapman/Hirst in Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,

Not sure about witnesses but I can apply for another copy, I believe the witnesses were her mother and Freddys father from what Iíve been told. Iíve asked around the family and my dads cousin does remember going to see Mary in Barnsley and remembers William being described as a bit of a rogue in the family (take that as you will!), and nothing about Joan, but all the people who would have known details are no longer with us. In fact Violet outlived my grandad (her son also Freddy). I know thereís not a lot to go on to be honest Iím just clutching at straws. I donít even know if William and Joan are older or younger than Mary and I still havenít found any census with them all on or just two of them. I checked the 1911,1901 and 1891 censuses with nothing at all. Judging by the DNA matches and their trees Iím most closely related to the Smith family as they crop up a lot so Iím sure Mary was a Smith through her parents somehow

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 March 20 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Was Joan definitely a sister - or could she have been William's wife?  William could have been recorded as Willie, and there is definitely a Mary and a Willie in a household in 1911 (in Elsecar not Barnsley).

As far as you are aware Mary died as Mary Hirst, unmarried?

It is worth posting again on another board (Beginners or West Yorkshire) with all the information you have.

Offline ryan1591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 March 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I think thatís probably a good shout Iíll do a separate post. William and Joan were definitely her siblings from what Iíve been told, not heard anything about William being married but I really donít know so could have been. Iíve found a Mary Hirst in elsecar too but she had too many siblings to be Mary (again, from what Iíve been told). At this point Iím thinking something must have happened for all the secrecy/confusion

Offline ryan1591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 March 20 09:31 GMT (UK) »
And yes I believe she died unmarried but Iíll double check

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 March 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
You can also look for Mary Hirst in 1939 in Barnsley, but she might be described as married or single? 

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 March 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Just putting this death for consideration (as we do not know how old Mary was when Violet born)

Deaths December quarter  1976   Barnsley
Mary Hirst  born 24th January 1886     

Offline ryan1591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 March 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Iíll see if that Mary links to any other trees, the dates look promising, I was looking around 1890 for a birth for her. Thanks for your help!