Author Topic: death in tenerife how do i find info  (Read 6196 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: death in tenerife how do i find info
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 26 July 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
The building they went to see there mother was definitely not a hospital my friend was sure on that , she said there was sort of paneling  as they walked through the corridors,  and she and her sisters along with there dad def had to wait 2 weeks after they got to hotel to see mother also adamant on that and she just put down the long wait to paper work ,, I don't know how long after they seen mother that mother was cremated ,, but said when they did see mother it was a biggish room and her mother had a curtain drawn round her

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
I would suggest Margaret was kept in a morgue (tanatorio) until the time of her cremation. There are a number on the island such as this one on the north of the island www.memora.es/centro/tanatorio-memora-tenerife (photos of this one show it to have glass fronted walls, see photo below).

The death cert still remain key to try to unravel this further  :-\

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you I will show her the picture and see if it's the one she went to

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 26 July 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thead getting long and can't remember if this has been asked...

Has your friend considered contacting the British Consulate on the island? They can be contacted by phone or email. Naturally, there should not be a language barrier.  Certainly need help with working with the authorities in Tenerife to re establish the facts and obtain the relevant documents.

Sam, you have been doing a great job here  :)

www.embassypages.com/unitedkingdom-consulate-santacruzdetenerife-spain

www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-consulate-santa-cruz-de-tenerife

Monica

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 26 July 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I think I did but all were Spanish,  speaking so I couldn't understand

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 26 July 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
Maybe worth trying again?

I would have thought the bulk of employees there would be English speaking as they are there to assist the British in Tenerife.

Monica

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
Monica an Oldhippyone - I will try the consulate, tomorrow, but it doesn't sound like  they may have been involved to me. I had to visit the consulate myself when my father died and they were very helpful, even in getting a postmortem certificate a year after the hospital had promised to send a copy (when they did the postmortem practically a few hour after he died).

I've tried emailing a crematorium, but their online system captia anti-robot link is not working to allow messages to be sent. Apart from the tantorio that Monica suggests there is likely to be one also at a place about 50 minutes away from los Cristianos, next to the cemetery. This building has lots of glass and there is a crematorium I think on site. It could give the impression that it was out of the way as far as habitation is concerned, so I wondered about this one 50 minutes away from Los Cristianos at Santa Lastenia-

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Morgue+St.+Lastenia+-+M%C3%A9mora/@28.4474292,-16.2782271,3a,75y,286.54h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sFgeg3y8ALzukK46R5_AzNA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DFgeg3y8ALzukK46R5_AzNA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D224%26h%3D298%26yaw%3D286.5395%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m17!1m9!2m8!1sfunerarias!3m6!1sfunerarias!2sCarr.+General,+9,+38627+Arona,+Santa+Cruz+de+Tenerife,+Spain!3s0xc6a99a1bafed283:0x4cd83e2ccb649a6c!4m2!1d-16.6801388!2d28.078786!3m6!1s0xc41cd201c6d0339:0x4c632f184fa9541d!8m2!3d28.4474843!4d-16.2784403!14m1!1BCgIgARICCAI

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 26 July 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you I will show her the picture of the link ,, but it looks like there are buildings close by ,, she said there was no other buildings , I am greatfull for all the help ,, thank you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 26 July 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
In the 16 yrs since Margaret's death, the area surrounding the building your friend went to view her mum may not look the same. Continued building may make the immediate area seem different. Hopefully something in the buildings themselves may trigger a memory.

Monica