Author Topic: Moving into BigY testing - SENNETT SINNOTT SINNETT Surname study  (Read 336 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Moving into BigY testing - SENNETT SINNOTT SINNETT Surname study
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
The SENNETT (SINNOTT, SYNNOTT, SINNETT etc) surname DNA study at familytreedna.com has recently had 6 project members upgrade to BigY, and the results are looking very exciting.  We are finally able to go beyond just knowing that people match and share a common ancestor (but not having any idea who), to being able to see how the genetic tree is branching.  With every new test that gets upgraded to BigY, we are seeing more branches named and placed on the haplotree, and that means it gets easier to put timeframes on branching and therefore start figuring out how some of the currently separate S-NN-T families with Irish origin are actually related.

I've written a blog post here https://sennettfamilytree.wordpress.com/2020/03/14/crowdfunding-sinnott-sennett-dna-studies/,
but really what I am looking for is to get in contact with a whole lot more people (families that include men with direct line S-NN-T ancestry) who are interested in using DNA to help build a genetic tree for our surname that can give us information to fill in some of the many gaps in documentary evidence.

I repeat, this is a Y-DNA project (at familytreedna.com), looking at the surname line.   This type of testing will take us many more generations further back than the autosomal tests (like Ancestry), so while I would still be interested in hearing from women who have done autosomal testing, it really is the men I would like to get involved.

You can start small with a YDNA-37 test (at familytreedna.com - prices have reduced considerably recently and now at $119 USD - down from $169) or go big and go straight to the BigY test.   There are also ways to support the project if you can't test yourself (women, or descendants of female lines where the surname has died out).  Any help to grow this project will help ALL S-NN-T families find common ancestors and get closer to their origins. 

If you follow my blog from the link above, then I will try to post regularly about the DNA project as well as more general updates from the surname study.