Author Topic: 1901 census, Kate Manktelow, 1911 Kate Wilkinson advice please?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 census, Kate Manktelow, 1911 Kate Wilkinson advice please?
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for advice on a lady variously called Kate Barton/Manktelow/Wilkinson? and Taylor please.

She is is listed correctly on the 1901 census, and this matched information from her late husband,but on the 1911 census she is listed as Wilkinson along with her children, but I cant seem to find a marriage to a Mr Wilkinson, but she seems still to be listed as a Mrs Wilkinson on the Street directory in the 1912/13 period.

My interest is through a Great x2 Uncle of mine, who died in 1910, and on his burial, Defender Road is mentioned,but this is not on his death certificate, as a coroner was the informant.

Is it possible she became my Great x 2 Uncles common law wife, and took his name, but the researcher omitted this in the information regarding Henry Manktelow, I am not sure.

Thoughts and opinions please.

https://southamptoncenotaph.com/henry-manktelow/

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census, Kate Manktelow, 1911 Kate Wilkinson advice please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 20 17:42 GMT (UK) »
A newspaper article 4th Aug 1923 has the following ...
A John Hoare was charged with bigamously marrying Kate Mankelow, Cook Street, Southampton, a widow on Dec 26th 1917.
She met him when she was living apart from her husband, her husband had been drowned at sea.The prisoner told her his name was Taylor.

No mention that she was a Wilkinson so probably did nt marry him.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 06:55 GMT (UK) »
'Is it possible she became my Great x 2 Uncles common law wife, and took his name, but the researcher omitted this in the information regarding Henry Manktelow, I am not sure.'

I would think that the researcher did not know - why should they as they can see Henry's marriage and then a later re-marriage for Kate, did not investigate censuses to the detail required. If Kate was named as next-of-kin on his records then why look any further for that biography.

This is from Commonwealth War Graves:

Have you found Henry in 1911?

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I havent looked for Henry on the 1911, as hopefully all will become clear.

I initially started off with the burial details for Joseph Wilkinson, which listed his address as Defender road, but it didnt give a house number.

I think I then consulted the street directory for the time around his death, which listed a Mrs Wilkinson in Defender road, and this information was confirmed by the 1911 census which listed Kate Wilkinson aged 36 living at 16 Defender road, her marriage status is listed as widow, but she was listed as 18 years married, (which matches marriage to Henry) and her two daughters had the surname of Wilkinson.

I however could not find a marriage to Joseph and then I discovered her on the 1901 census with
the married name of Manktelow, and the two daughters the same surname.

I did a google for "Kate Manktelow",and it appears she may have had a child in December 1912.
called Samuel. https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

and just found this....

https://www.geni.com/people/Samuel-S-Williams/6000000016189254362

I dont want to overload myself with information, but its possible Kate Mantelow could have known Joseph, but its not possible to be 100% certain it would appear.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, encyclopedia titanica link only, for me, goes to a general page. and inviting me to join the crew.

Where does the surname Williams come from?

Added:
You mean this birth for the Williams son?
Births March quarter  1913
Samuel Manktelow   mmn   Manktelow    Southampton    2c   95

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 March 20 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello please find information below,

"I would like some more information about Samuel Williams (fireman). I believe his illegitamite son may have been my father Samuel.Dad's mother's name was Kate Manktelow.She lived in St Marys Southampton and gave birth on December 18th 1912."

Information taken from https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org

Also

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/samuel-williams.html

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 20 00:32 GMT (UK) »
These events occur after Joseph died in 1910, and its possible they where just cohabiting, maybe an answer could be found in the street directories for 1908/1909/1910 perhaps, or it will be just an unanswered question, as family history can sometimes be.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 20 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Williams death?
Samuel Williams  born 18th December 1912
Registered March quarter 1977 in Birkenhead.

Cannot see that date in 1939, but there is a Samuel Williams 28/12/1939 living in Hoylake which could be him.

'These events occur after Joseph died in 1910, and its possible they where just cohabiting, maybe an answer could be found in the street directories for 1908/1909/1910 perhaps, or it will be just an unanswered question, as family history can sometimes be.'

They did not marry as it said illegitimate son....

The Titanica also says
' My father was born on Dec 18th 1912 and my grandmother was given money from the relief fund which she used when she married my grandfather in 1913. His name was Petersen and a possible link could be Marius Petersen--a third class passenger who may have been his brother. The only other link could be Samuel Williams (fireman) '

Marriages September quarter  1913 
Kathleen E Manktelow  and Hans B Petersen  Southampton   

Hans Bertel Petersen did not die until 1979 in Southampton
Kathleen Emily Petersen died in 1972, Southampton, born 11th February 1893. 
Presumably she is the daughter Emily Kate Manktelow

Offline Sophiejsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 January 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi I dont know if I can help with this post at all my great grandfather was samual maurice petersen born in 1912. His mother was Kathleen  pettersen maiden name mankelow . I'm researching the mankelow line at the moment but I havnt had much luck but i know information on samual known to friends and family as pete . Sophie