Author Topic: Criminal records...  (Read 1678 times)

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Criminal records...
« on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes when researching past family members I have come across criminal records that could possibly be related to them.. Thing is, with the limited info the records often provide how do you know if it is your relative or not... For example the name and area might match but is it them.. Or someone with the same name who happens to live in the same area?
Or do you just put it down as a possibility?

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal records...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Try looking at newspapers to see if the crime was reported. That may give more identifying information, such as address.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I would make a note of it as a possibility and where I found the record. Then if I want to go back to it I know where to look.

Some records don't always have enough information on them for you to be sure it is the right person.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 20 19:54 GMT (UK) »
I agree Newspapers - but also are there other people in the area mentioned on the census record?

Sometimes local Archives have Quarter Session Records, which may just help.

The criminal records on Find My Past can sometimes be helpful as there is often more than one record for the same person, especially if they have been removed from one prison to another - sometimes next of kin are shown.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 March 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'll look into it a bit further. I did find a newspaper report for the one I'm looking into at the moment but it literally stated her name, crime and sentence. Nothing about next of kin or age.. I will see if I can find some prison records though!
I also couldn't find anyone of the same name in that area for that time period... Which made me think it could very well be her... But I do like to be able to confirm it.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 20 03:33 GMT (UK) »
I've just gone through a load about one man in my tree, he also had a wiki page. The records were 1857-1864 when he was hanged after being transported, next of kin were noted which proved he wasn't one of mine.

Another was jailed in the 1850's then got a 10 year stretch in 1868, prison records not only noted next of kin but included a description of him and even a photograph taken when he was transferred to Wormwood Scrubs. On FindMyPast the two record sets with keyword com2 or com3 brought up results that were left out of a straightforward search of prison records.

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 20 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I'll look up prisons in the area and see if I can find any records. She got two years so I imagine she would be on record somewhere

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I'll look up prisons in the area and see if I can find any records.

This site will show you the prison records that survive for each county, and where they are held. It's a finding-aid - there are no actual records on the site itself.

https://www.prisonhistory.org/

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 20 15:03 GMT (UK) »
MrsS

If you are prepared to give us her name - rough location and year of birth, we can also check records for you -- although I will quite understand if you prefer not to do so.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.