Author Topic: 1841 Census Fortingall-Weem-Kenmore-Killin-Logierait  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census Fortingall-Weem-Kenmore-Killin-Logierait
« on: Monday 16 March 20 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have indexed the entirety of the 1841 census for Fortingall, Weem and Kenmore.  Killin partially - Ardeonaig.  Logierait partially - Rannoch. The remainder of Killin and Dull will follow at some point.

I have organized by the parish boundaries of 1930 and separated Fortingall/Glenlyon and Rannoch for ease of locating/identifying place names. i.e. Glenquaich fell under Weem, Kenmore and Dull in the 1841 Census - I have moved to Dull as per 1930.

I am in the process of identifying the families throughout.  It will be updated regularly over the next few months.

1841 Census:
https://www.mckercher.org/The1841Census

Place Names:
https://www.mckercher.org/Places

Cheers,

Kori Maleski
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Fortingall-Weem-Kenmore-Killin-Logierait
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for posting this link, and for all the work that's gone into the site.

When I hit pause on my English research and get back to looking at my Scottish roots I can see it will be very useful.

(My main families in that area are Kennedy and Campbell, though obviously there were many others that they married and connected to.)

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 20 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you from me too.

This will be very useful for my husband's ancestry.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

The entirety of Killin parish for the 1841 Census has now been added.  I will still be updating family information as research progresses.

1841 Census:

Place Names:

Cheers,

Kori Maleski

Hi all,

I have indexed the entirety of the 1841 census for Fortingall, Weem and Kenmore.  Killin partially - Ardeonaig.  Logierait partially - Rannoch. The remainder of Killin and Dull will follow at some point.

I have organized by the parish boundaries of 1930 and separated Fortingall/Glenlyon and Rannoch for ease of locating/identifying place names. i.e. Glenquaich fell under Weem, Kenmore and Dull in the 1841 Census - I have moved to Dull as per 1930.

I am in the process of identifying the families throughout.  It will be updated regularly over the next few months.

1841 Census:

Place Names:

Cheers,

Kori Maleski
Researching McKercher, McKerchar, McKerracher, McKericher and the families of Fortingall, Weem, Kenmore, Killin and Dull parishes.

www.mckercher.org

Offline DGMcLaren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
I really want to add my thanks. I had letters showing my McLaren came from Balnasuim 1816 and a mother Isabella, and a younger sister Catherine who stayed, m Peter McGregor and your work showed the same PLUS the fathers name Duncan.

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 21 06:42 BST (UK) »
I really want to add my thanks. I had letters showing my McLaren came from Balnasuim 1816 and a mother Isabella, and a younger sister Catherine who stayed, m Peter McGregor and your work showed the same PLUS the fathers name Duncan.

You are most welcome.  Due to the large number of McLaren/McGregor etc., I am currently indexing and working through smaller families to relate and eliminate marriage candidates. I will circle back to work more on McLarens.  If I am missing details and/or if you have additional info/fixes let me know.  I am going by records and supplementary sources but lack access to all but a few family letters and such.  There are a number of McLarens residing in Balnasium and the Crannich area, with most leaving prior to 1841.  I am going through Whytes immigration books to identify all the families slowly.  I am trying to eventually identify all the families that match the 1769 Survey of Loch Tayside.

I believe your James McLaren's grandfather Hugh was the son of yet another Hugh. Birth 1762 at Keprannich of Ardtalnaig. He had an older brother named James b 1745. Not 100% sure yet. I am still researching. The McLarens marrying McLarens makes sorting out who was who harder.

www.mckercher.org

Offline DGMcLaren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
We traced to Archibald McLaren who came to Balderson Ont 1816 via the ship Fanny in 1816 (possibly 1818). His brother Peter came 1817 on the Prompt. They settled side by side just E of Balderson. I recently got copies of several letters to Peter from family and that gave me a Brother Donald, writing from Balnasuim 1821, 28 and 30. They also indicate the mother Isabella (writing as late as 1837 and still alive in 1849 per Catherine letters) and sister Catherine married to Peter McGregor. The 1841 census says Peter/Catherine are at Lawnacroy (but doesn't mention Isabella in that family) and that she is daughter of Isabella McGregor and Duncan McLaren

I don't know the James/Hugh combinations you write about.

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 October 21 04:29 BST (UK) »
Ahh.  Apologies - I had incorrect family.  Disregard.  I do not have your branch of McLarens fully researched yet - I just had the family of Peter McGregor.

Catherine McLaren - the daughter of Duncan McLaren and Isabel McGregor was born at Skiag, Kenmore on the south shore of Loch Tay right across from Lawers.  Her death certificate (Apr 14 1871) says spouse of Peter McGregor, but has her mother as Catherine Campbell. Son in law Malcolm McLaren (her daughter Janet married Malcolm).  There are no Duncan McLaren's marrying a Catherine Campbell in the records.  This is likely an error on the death certificate (it happens infrequently). She appears in the 1871 census living with daughter Janet and her husband Malcolm. Going to try to confirm above and take a look at your tree.

www.mckercher.org

Offline Kmaleski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
We traced to Archibald McLaren who came to Balderson Ont 1816 via the ship Fanny in 1816 (possibly 1818). His brother Peter came 1817 on the Prompt. They settled side by side just E of Balderson. I recently got copies of several letters to Peter from family and that gave me a Brother Donald, writing from Balnasuim 1821, 28 and 30. They also indicate the mother Isabella (writing as late as 1837 and still alive in 1849 per Catherine letters) and sister Catherine married to Peter McGregor. The 1841 census says Peter/Catherine are at Lawnacroy (but doesn't mention Isabella in that family) and that she is daughter of Isabella McGregor and Duncan McLaren

I don't know the James/Hugh combinations you write about.

Okay.  I have fleshed out your tree.

Duncan McLaren and Isabel McGregor married 1788 and their first born Patrick/Peter was born at Crannich on the north shore of Loch Tay in Feb 1789.  Their daughter Catherine was born at Skiag on the opposite shore in Oct 1789.  Their son Archibald was likely born at Skiag as well.  I am interested to hear more about whether they had additional children such as the Donald you mention. As for Catherine's incorrect death certificate with the wrong mother, this does occur in records.  The recorder and/or children may list incorrect names.  I do not have Peter McGregors parents identified yet - but maybe the Catherine Campbell comes from there.

Peter McLaren married Mary Sinclair of Rynachulig - just southwest of Crannich area.  Went to Drummond, Lanark.

Archibald McLaren married Catherine McQuarrie of Ardeonaig.  No birth record for her, but I believe her parents were Alexander McQuarrie and Catherine Campbell.  I have not indexed the McQuarries yet, so I am not 100% on her origins yet.

Kori

www.mckercher.org