Author Topic: First name of a Scottish female, Not sure if this us the right place foIanswythe  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: First name of a Scottish female, Not sure if this us the right place foIanswythe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 March 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
(1) Ianswythe Macdo... Grant born 1922, Duthil, married Ian Alistair Grant, Duthil, 1952, died 2016, Pitlochry
(2) probably still living so can't post details, married
(3) probably still living so can't post details, married

These three individuals account for all instances of the name in any document in Scotland's People. You can view the full indexes at Scotland's People.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: First name of a Scottish female, Not sure if this us the right place foIanswythe
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 March 20 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian.  I have been on SP but can't find birth for Inglis. Found marriages and divorce records but as you said probably still living.  I wonder where the name came from as looking back my tree there does not appear to be any links to Scandinavia or Anglo Saxon princesses.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
I speculate that two of these three may have been given a name that their parents came across somewhere rather than being given a name that has come down through the family.

Try searching for *nswyth* instead of for Ianswythe - wildcards are always useful for picking up different spellings.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
Try this - a  northern European name! And Language ? 
Danish.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
See my reply #7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
See my reply #7
Apologies if you feel that I trod on your toes, heywood. I only wanted to clarify the answer to the question in barryd's post.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
Not at all but there are BMD records for that name *nswyth and *nswythe so I was offering it as a legitimate albeit rare name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk