Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 7418 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh, and btw who has all the toothpaste? Shelves empty today!

Guilty as charged M'lud.  I bought two tubes last week because we were booked to go on holiday this coming Tuesday.  I don't need them now.  Well, I probably do...

Rishile

Oh how very dare you !  :o  When my choppers have dropped out I’ll be after borrowing yours. In the meantime I have some salt, can anyone send me some soot  ;D ;D
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
"Why would anyone want to freeze their chest ??"

Have you never seen the effect on a chest that the cold has ??

Malky

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »
"Why would anyone want to freeze their chest ??"

Have you never seen the effect on a chest that the cold has ??

Malky

Are you speaking from experience here Malky ?  :o.
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »

Guilty as charged M'lud.  I bought two tubes last week because we were booked to go on holiday this coming Tuesday.  I don't need them now.  Well, I probably do...

Rishile

Oh how very dare you !  :o  When my choppers have dropped out I’ll be after borrowing yours. In the meantime I have some salt, can anyone send me some soot  ;D ;D

I'm really sorry.  You can have some if you want it.  It's very cheap.  Just £20.00 per tube. 

If I had known the Canary Islands was going into total lock-down I wouldn't have bought it as I almost had enough to see me through a couple of weeks.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »

I agree with the comments that it would be more helpful to view things in proportion.  After all, the World Health Organisation say that 80% of patients will only experience a mild illness.

I do think that there has been too much unhelpful scaremongering going on recently.  No wonder some people have been getting in a panic, developing a catastrophic outlook and stock piling.  Only this morning I met a  lady at the bus stop who said to me "Isn't it terrible, perhaps we should all just shoot ourselves".  Apparently, she had been feeding on sensational and alarming news stories. :-\

What a contrast now to the approach taken during the war years when it seems people were bolstered by positive slogans and encouraged to keep cheerful and see the bright side of things instead of focussing on doom and gloom. 

I think a lot of us would be much better off if we just follow the health advice, keep calm and positive, and stop following all the sensational reporting which has been instilling out of proportion worry and state of alarm in some, such as the lady I talked with at the bus stop today.  It will be much more helpful to focus on the positive info/news around us, such as ..

..The 'social distancing' is a proactive step which is said will help limit the spread.

https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/shutting-down-coronavirus-right-reaction

..There is currently a shopping boom and one supermarket, Morrisons, is said to be creating 3,500 new jobs to meet the demand.

.. Now that a number of supermarkets have introduced limits the shelves are back to being well stocked again (well, at least where I live).

.. Those who do end up in hospital will receive far superior medical help to what was available to those at the time of the Great War time pandemic.

.. Also, I know someone who has told me that as he now has to do his office work at home this will actually make his life a lot easier. .. no getting up at the crack of dawn to drive to work and getting stuck in traffic on return as well as the saving in petrol money and parking fees.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Oh I do agree River Tyne Lass.

Also, there are so many other positives.  The fact that large cities in China are losing their pollution.  There are fish in the canals in Venice again.  Mother Nature is healing the planet and I think know it will be a better place once this is all over.

There are a lot of people putting themselves out for others less fortunate.  Helping people with shopping, calling for a chat or just offering to put the bins out.  Why does it take a pandemic for people to do this?  I prefer to think of the good things that people are doing rather than the bad (selling tubes of toothpaste for £20.00 etc  :)).

But then my glass is always half full.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Who has been buying all the blackberries

Not me - I picked ours in the summer. Smug or what!.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Could it not be that all these nasty viruses and natural disasters like hurricanes, landslides, volcanoes etc are all Mother Nature's way of controlling the rapidly expanding population.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »

Rishile

I'm really sorry.  You can have some if you want it.  It's very cheap.  Just £20.00 per tube. 

If I had known the Canary Islands was going into total lock-down I wouldn't have bought it as I almost had enough to see me through a couple of weeks.

Rishile

£20.00 a tube for soot  :o  Now you’re just black marketeering, shame on you Rishlie  ;D ;D ;D. Think I’ll make do with the salt....

Does anyone know why it was soot and salt by the way.?  Can you imagine trying to rinse soot out of your teeth.