Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 6443 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: state of emergency
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The guidance is unclear and confusing which is a shocking indictment on those giving the guidance.

The guidance trystan linked to is a lot clearer than the rumours circulating on the internet. It is always best to go to an official source if possible.

Also to criticise people for panic buying while saying that in a few days time people must stay at home for four months seems a very clear instruction to panic buy!

The guidance explains that "the public sector, business, charities, and the general public are gearing up to help those advised to stay at home." This sounds broadly the same as what I suggested yesterday would be happening - arrangements will be made to get food and medicines to people who don't have others to help them.

The guidance at the present time is the measures are likely to be required for 12 weeks. That is slightly less than three months, not four.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency (part 2)
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trystan, that's cleared up a lot of doubt. A lot of it is common sense isn't it?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The BBC has just made available the full program on the BBC IPlayer of the briefing:

Briefing 16 May 2020:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000gwmw/bbc-news-special-coronavirus-daily-update-16032020

The Downing Street footage starts 20 minutes in (move the slider across on the IPlayer).

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 March 20 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm not quite in the seventy and older age group ( that happens next year) but I do have asthma so am heeding the warnings. Indeed, I have been heeding the warnings since before they happened! Social distancing makes sense, even though it will be very strange and difficult for many. I have the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales at my disposal so am hoping to get out for some good walks as the spring weather comes in.
But like many others, it means not seeing the members of my family who don't live locally.
I have many friends who make their living through their music and they are really struggling now, with gigs being cancelled and long term travel restrictions in place. I feel so sorry for them.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I have no problem with the advice given.
 My wife and I have already started to cut down on social contact. I'm 70 this year, my wife next, but we both have "underlying problems". We gave up going to a first birthday party yesterday, we have cancelled an overnight hotel stay and will not be going to the associated Hollies concert next month, we have cancelled a cruise due in May and I will not be going to the gym and my language class. We may also not go to other concerts for which we have tickets, but they are some way off so we'll see.
We have plenty of work in the garden, will possibly go out for a walk and or drive and I may go fishing as I'm usually alone and in the middle of nowhere.
Not sure yet about shopping but I'm sure we'll be alright. We have a couple of neighbours who may help out but let's see what the national proposals are.
My wife was in our local "green" supermarket yesterday, because we needed this week's shopping, where, she was told by a staff member, people were queuing up well before opening at 10am and went on to over-buy the usual items. Furthermore, the thieving classes nicked the toilet rolls placed in the toilets that morning.
It really is time the supermarkets took some responsibility for allowing panic buying. It needs to be stopped. I am wondering what will happen to some of the foodstuffs when people find they are "out of date". I assume they will, without compunction, throw it away just as easily as they panic bought it. They really must possess a huge sense of entitlement and believe their need is greater than anyone else's. No social conscience for the me, me, me brigade.
Keep yer chin up and stay safe.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:10 GMT (UK) »
The BBC has just made available the full program on the BBC IPlayer of the briefing:

Just a word of caution to people clicking on that link -

You need to have a TV licence to use iPlayer. If you don't have a valid TV licence you would be committing an offence if you watch it.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Best idea I've heard so far is one or two shops having a special OAP's hour before opening to the general public. Might be tricky to police, but would be rather good if it spreads to the main supermarkets  8)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
As a matter of interest, President Macron of France addressed the nation this evening, thus:

He announced the immediate closure of borders, advised people to stay at home other than for walking for health or essential shopping All taxes, national insurance, rents, electricity, gas and other utility bills etc etc cancelled with immediate effect, and food and provisions to be made available for the poorest in society.

Compare and contrast....

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
The BBC also live streamed the PM's update on their YouTube channel. It's available for replay and includes a signer and subtitles (need to be enabled in the YT player).

BBC: Coronavirus: Boris Johnson delivers first daily update [16 Mar]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eauc67Ba-8k
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson