Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 7453 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency (part 2)
« Reply #36 on: Monday 16 March 20 22:50 GMT (UK) »
I just want to say a word of grateful thanks to those working in the NHS and Caring Profession who are working on the front line at the moment. They too are taking risks with their health but because of their professional dedication they just get on with the job in hand.

My niece is a Community Nurse in Edinburgh. Every day she visits people in their own homes to give injections, change dressings and other medical duties. She has two young children at home and no partner. Someone suggested that she should go "on the sick" instead of working with the threat of contracting the virus hanging over her. She was absolutely horrified and pointed out that she was a medical professional and would never consider doing such a thing.

This is only one example of those dedicated people who are working tirelessly to help us get through this emergency.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Compare and contrast....

France are a week (possibly two) ahead of us in terms of progression of this terrible disease.

Perhaps it would be better to leave the comparisons until we reach the equivalent point, and when we have a better understanding of what measures the UK Government intends to implement?

It is fairly obvious that we are in a rapidly developing situation and the Government is unable (and perhaps thinks it is unwise) to spell out everything it will be doing in detail, all in one go.

Or better still, perhaps we can acknowledge that each country and the way it is affected by CV is going to be unique - and making such comparisons will only cause division and confusion. Which is the last thing we really need right now.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »
I just want to say a word of grateful thanks to those working in the NHS and Caring Profession who are working on the front line at the moment. They too are taking risks with their health but because of their professional dedication they just get on with the job in hand.

Completely agree. Some of what they will be witnessing is going to have a profound effect on them - they will need support in many ways.

We should also think about the other people who provide essential services and will be working hard at some personal risk to keep things going.

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
The main supermarkets here (Woolies & Coles, Australia) are now opening at 7am to allow the elderly and disabled to have an hour's access without the crowds. Trouble is that some shelves are empty.
I went yesterday at my normal time (8.30am) and it was more like a Saturday. All the checkouts were open and people were generally being sensible.
A drive through clinic opened here too with some people being turned away as they weren't showing a
temperature.
Anzac marches are cancelled too.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Quote from post 1:
It could be quite simple to implement as the powers that be already have all our personal details already. Post out coupon books.

I have had to have my GP fill out a "Fitness to Drive" form, for those over 75. It was sent out by the people who issue drivers licenses, so they know how old I am :'( and where I live :-X

How they will control us to stop us going out, I have no idea.

As for not mingling, I have every intention of going to bowls each week, to allow OH some respite from having me around all the time ;D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 16 March 20 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Watching the PM and the two medical chaps giving us their latest advice I found it very namby pamby and wish they be more decisive as people seem unclear in how to act! Watching various interviews with some people on tv tonight it would appear they've no idea what staying away from public places actually means. We need  more firm information... perhaps that will come in the next few days.
My hubby is 70 and has 'underlying health issues ' I will be next year and am as fit as a fiddle but have now stopped all my social activities to be on the safe side.... I have to do some shopping tomorrow so plan to go early in the hope there is something to purchase.... sure they won't have run out if wine yet!
We live in a small village with no amenities so have to drive everywhere, there are quite a lot our age and older so whose going to shop for us when we're stuck indoors I wonder.
Our garden is going to look spectacular this year as we'll have plenty of time to do it sadly no one to admire it with us...
Just keep cheerful and stay calm and healthy.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 00:03 GMT (UK) »
How they will control us to stop us going out, I have no idea.

I expect they believe that you want to survive this crisis. They don't want to have to control you, they want you to take control of your own health, not only for yourself, but for others.

That is my understanding.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
We live in a small village with no amenities so have to drive everywhere, there are quite a lot our age and older so whose going to shop for us when we're stuck indoors I wonder.

As per the guidance trystan linked to earlier -

"the public sector, business, charities, and the general public are gearing up to help those advised to stay at home."

There is no detail (yet) on how this will work, but I think it is reasonable to expect there to be some kind of contact point such as your local council who will arrange to find out what shopping (and medicines) you need and have it delivered to you.

Edit: And I suspect the reason the details haven't been published yet is to give the organisations time to prepare and put systems in place so when they do publish the detail they are ready to handle the volume of contact they are likely to get. (some of which will probably be from people who don't really need the help but are trying it on to add to their stockpile of toilet roll and pasta)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Meanwhile in America they are lining up to buy guns, not toilet paper.  No surprise there.  Maybe the guns are to protect their toilet paper.

Debra  :)