Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 7458 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Meanwhile in America they are lining up to buy guns, not toilet paper.  No surprise there.  Maybe the guns are to protect their toilet paper.

Debra  :)

Or wild boar.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Meanwhile in America they are lining up to buy guns, not toilet paper.  No surprise there.  Maybe the guns are to protect their toilet paper.

Debra  :)

or to put in the perforations for the sheets.   :)  afterall they are not allowed to gather in groups of ten or more now. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency (part 2)
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 01:15 GMT (UK) »
The BBC has just made available the full program on the BBC IPlayer of the briefing:

You need to have a TV licence to use iPlayer. If you don't have a valid TV licence you would be committing an offence if you watch it.

I think I'd be inclined to worry more about catching the virus over being caught without a relevant licence.

It's very difficult for them to prove &/or take anyone to court for not having one as it's not classed as a criminal offence.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re: state of emergency
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 01:49 GMT (UK) »

Here is the official guidance:

Guidance on social distancing for everyone in the UK and protecting older people and vulnerable adults
Published 16 March 2020

Thanks for posting link.
 I'm a "vulnerable adult". If I've correctly understood the document I'm in the special category "at even greater risk of severe illness from Covid-19". "Bespoke guidance will be provided by your G.P. next week."  I should receive a letter with advice on "more stringent measures". In the meantime "you should rigorously follow the social distancing in full". (Carry a 2 metre ruler?) That's NHS England though and I'm not in England. I shall watch for the postman next week.
I've been "social distancing" to a large extent for the past fortnight and had been limiting contact for the previous 3 months, even Before Covid-19 (B.C.) I go out to hospital, local shops for food & essentials, and for walks. I sometimes arrange to meet a friend outdoors. Not been on public transport for a month and shan't for a while.
Perhaps I'll be issued with an official notice to wear when I'm out "Caution!  Special Category Vulnerable Person. Do not approach within 2 metres" in big red letters.
Cowban

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 02:02 GMT (UK) »
In all the confusion and madness regarding the caronavirus, surely the medical "experts" have thought of how Edward Jenner started the vaccination of people in the early 1800's to prevent smallpox.

Just get a person how has recovered from the virus, and get some of their blood plasma, and inject it into those most susceptible, with the antibodies with have been created by the recovered person.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Re reply #49. There are rules about testing vaccines and medicines which didn't exist when Jenner did.
Cowban

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 02:44 GMT (UK) »

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 06:20 GMT (UK) »
In all the confusion and madness regarding the caronavirus, surely the medical "experts" have thought of how Edward Jenner started the vaccination of people in the early 1800's to prevent smallpox.

Just get a person how has recovered from the virus, and get some of their blood plasma, and inject it into those most susceptible, with the antibodies with have been created by the recovered person.

Yes, immunology has come on a lot in the last couple of hundred years - even to the point where medical experts don't need the " " around their name.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 07:27 GMT (UK) »
The shopping problem is worrying and annoying.
We generally do our weekly shop on a Monday morning as it is so quiet and peaceful.
Yesterday it was like Christmas Eve with people barging around and clearing the shelves of non perishables.
But also, the meat aisle was empty.  Nothing that we normally buy on a weekly basis was available, not the turkey meat nor the fish.
And don't get me started on UHT milk. I don't know why it is my husband's preferred choice, but we always take 3 or 4 UHT soya, and 4 UHT cows milk. Since the crisis began we have only been able to buy fresh cows milk in plastic containers.
I was able to pick up a shower gel as mine is used up, but I went into 4 different stores in the High Street on Saturday for a hand soap, and found empty racks in every store. Most odd, and irritating.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.