Author Topic: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency, Coronavirus (part 2)
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike, I shall probably be in touch with them later so will let them know - if they don't already.  :)

Gen...My SIL and BIL have travelled from Spain through France in their motorhome, they went out by ferry in January but travelled home yesterday via the channel tunnel and have stayed over in Canterbury and will be home tomorrow.
They have brought us back several boxes of wine  ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
BUT you only had to forfeit 2 bottles, I think.  At least that is the rule in our local Aldi at the moment, no more than 4.   :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike, I shall probably be in touch with them later so will let them know - if they don't already.  :)

I've just had the same conversation with my French neighbour. She advises actually writing on the form something like "Driving home to the UK via the Channel Tunnel". That's what we're going to do tomorrow.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about that. Last night it was said that it will be reviewed in three weeks and if people haven't been following the request to social distance, and to stay away from bars, restaurants etc then they will bring in laws to enforce it.

Sorry, I meant the legislation is going to be passed later this week. As you say, I don't think the actual powers will be implemented for some weeks, if at all.

A friend who is a mobile hairdresser works two days in a care home, so she's been told not go in. Family are not allowed either unless someone is on their death bed. She was telling me there is on lady there who has been married 60 years and her husband visits her everyday, but he's not allowed  in. Very sad.

Absolutely. It is tragic. A friend's mum is in a care home in France - they've already had a 'no visitors' policy for nearly two weeks, and it won't be lifted until the middle of April at the very earliest (and even that is now looking very optimistic).

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »

Gen...My SIL and BIL have travelled from Spain through France in their motorhome, they went out by ferry in January but travelled home yesterday via the channel tunnel and have stayed over in Canterbury and will be home tomorrow.
They have brought us back several boxes of wine  ;D
Carol

Thanks Carol, that sounds reassuring, though I know they haven't been able to stock up on wine because the places around them were all closed and they are avoiding bigger food shops as much as possible.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »

I've just had the same conversation with my French neighbour. She advises actually writing on the form something like "Driving home to the UK via the Channel Tunnel". That's what we're going to do tomorrow.

Have a safe and uneventful journey.

It all feels very surreal up here in Cumbria, where we have very few confirmed cases, as yet. I went for a walk this morning and it was noticeable how few people are out and about and also how much of a wide berth we are all giving each other if we have to pass on the pavement!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline bradburyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
I have "self identified" as being 69.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
BUT you only had to forfeit 2 bottles, I think.  At least that is the rule in our local Aldi at the moment, no more than 4.   :-\

Yes, of course, and the checkout chap said come back tomorrow and buy the 2 which were forfeited or another 4!

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday 17 March 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Only 4 bottles? I always buy in 6s or 12s!! Do you think I'll get run in? Or could I ask them to look at my purchasing history, to exonerate me?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)