Author Topic: Shop Keeper Details - Chortlon on Medlock / Longsight, Manchester  (Read 517 times)

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
  • Novice family history researcher struggling by!!!!
    • View Profile
Shop Keeper Details - Chortlon on Medlock / Longsight, Manchester
« on: Wednesday 18 March 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
There was a corner shop on Richmond Grove East in Longsight / CoM in the 60s I believe my granddad used to own / run.

He was called Joe MacKinnon.

I cam across an old photo from 1965 of a corner shop on Richmond Grove East / Morton Street and wondered if that was the one.

Is there any way of finding out such info online folks???

Thanks in anticipation....
PRICE - Hulme, Manchester / Pershore Worcest.   
ALMOND - Hulme, Manchester
STONE - Hulme, Manchester
FOY/FAY/FAHY - Galway / Hulme, Manchester
MACKINNON / McKinnon - Glasgow / Partick  / Whiteinch / Manchester
HERON - Eastwood/ Blairgowrie / The Gorbals
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shop Keeper Details - Chortlon on Medlock / Longsight, Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Old trade directories for the area? Local libraries and / or newspaper records? Is there a local society concerned with family history pops up if you do an online search, that you may be able to contact?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
This picture is also in the Manchester Local Image Collection at https://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php

A search for Richmond Grove East brings up 13 results; this is the one with the identifier m29522, and you can see a larger version there.

Some of the other pictures have corner shops too, and I'm wondering why you picked this one. There's a name on the sign above the door (easier to see on the other site) - I can't really make it out, but it doesn't look like MacKinnon to me.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
This picture is also in the Manchester Local Image Collection at https://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php

A search for Richmond Grove East brings up 13 results; this is the one with the identifier m29522, and you can see a larger version there.

Some of the other pictures have corner shops too, and I'm wondering why you picked this one. There's a name on the sign above the door (easier to see on the other site) - I can't really make it out, but it doesn't look like MacKinnon to me.

My mum visited the shop around 1958/59 and she thought this was the same shop....
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Fair enough.

One possibility might be to look at electoral registers, which are often in local studies libraries - in this case presumably Manchester. I see from your profile that you're relatively local, so might that be worth a try?
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline Pricey4848

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 20 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...was hoping there was something online I didn't know about
BUCHANAN -
PATERSON - Glasgow

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
There are old telephone directories at Ancestry. I picked a few at random about 2-3 years either side of 1960 but didn't spot him, though at that date a small shop might not have had a phone. Maybe a wider search and/or alternative spellings might find him?

For electoral registers it looks as though you would need to go to the Central Library:

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/212379/electoral_registers/category/1367/view_all_collections