Author Topic: Intent to marry.  (Read 632 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Intent to marry.
« on: Wednesday 18 March 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Firstly please could someone explain to me why intent to marry papers were written up?  Also the 2 people concerned seemed to be only 16 at the time, could this have been the reason?   They did marry in fact on year later in 1781. Also is there somewhere were one can look these up to read?
Thank you to anyone who can help.
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Intent to marry.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Notice of Intention to Marry are still required today for Register Office marriages. ;D

They perform the same purpose as Banns.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Intent to marry.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 20 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply but that's for now, I'm interested in the 1700's & why it would take a year later for the marriage to take place??   Back then it wasn't common as far as I can see for that to occur.
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.