Author Topic: Elisha Weir and Dorcas Pottinger, born Jamaica  (Read 559 times)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elisha Weir and Dorcas Pottinger, born Jamaica
« on: Wednesday 18 March 20 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I am trying to find the ancestors of Elisha Weir, born 1933 and Dorcas Pottinger (later his wife), born 1937, both in Clarendon, Jamaica. Their birth records have not been digitised by the LDS Church. Their is an earlier Elisha Weir who died in Clarendon in 1938 aged 45. He may be the father.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Re: Elisha Weir and Dorcas Pottinger, born Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with your immediate problem, but if you get the Pottingers back a century to a certain Moses, I can tell you he was _not_ a son of John F. Pottinger (later a Major General) and his wife Mary Anne née Newcomen, as claimed by several trees at fAnciestree.com.  That couple had just had a child born in India, and I think it highly improbable that they would immediately take ship to Jamaica in order to baptize a different child!

Moses' parents may have been John and Mary Anne, but a different couple.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hugh, thank you. I am pleased to say I know where Burton Pedwardine is!!

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 March 20 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I admit I would never have heard of Burton Pedwardine if I didn't have ancestors from there.  And they were Welsh anyway (perhaps not surprising with the name Jones). 

The distribution of Pottingers is strange: a nest of them in Devon, and some in the Shetlands.  Mine gave their name to the Mountpottinger area of Belfast (but drank away their fortune, according to family lore).  Good hunting!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 March 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Andro, have a look at these lists of slave-owners in Jamaica who received compensation in the 1830's.

www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Members/Slavecompensation.htm

You might think that it was the slaves who should have been compensated???

Skoosh.