Author Topic: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)  (Read 4840 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)
« on: Thursday 19 March 20 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Continuing to discuss Coronavirus and its implications...

Link to Part 1
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=826968.0

Link to Part 2
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827130.0

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,this topic will be of immense help to many RootsChatters,mainly just some friendly contact but also information.
You feel more in control if you are informed ,and losing control over an otherwise ordered life is rather dismaying ,the last thing anyone needs.
Note through the door last night ,from a near neighbour five doors away ,
Offering help re shopping etc as she will be working from home as from next week.
Some time ago  I was rather exasperated  by another  neighbour who seemed to think I was a free source of all sorts of things.
I said nothing and gave the children the biggest reddest apple from my little tree.Not seen much of them during the very bad weather.
Well she came round yesterday and offered to get shopping in ,so I am pleased I did not cut up rough about the many exasperations.
A bit of the wartime spirit from people who were not born in the1940’s.
Hope everyone is O.K especially those who,have ongoing treatment and long complicated journeys to get it.
Kindest regards to everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I've decided that one of the biggest problems of this virus is the panic caused by social media. Every site you look at gives different information and there is a lot of scare mongering. Check every bit of information against the official government sites and don't believe everything you read or are told, even by people on here. A lot of "experts" have sprung up overnight.

Bit of good news this morning, "China reported its first day with no new locally transmitted coronavirus infections, three months after the first case was detected."  The only new cases are people who have entered the country.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I am organising a support group for the road through the banner of Neighbourhood Watch [am the coordinator so already know quite a few of residents] & am forming a Whats app group. So far I have had all offers of help rather than requests which is lovely. Now have a head cold [yes, only a cold] myself so daren't go out in case I get lynched if I cough. Fortunately Mr Josey has recovered from his slipped disc of 4 weeks ago and can go out while he can [not 70 till August  ;)]

ADDED: quite agree groom; only take my news from BBC website.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
"Gor blimey, hello Mrs Jones how's your Bert's lumbago?  mustn't gwumble!"

Skoosh.

Wee quiz!

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 20 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Costco now limiting the number of shoppers in the store at any one time. 1 out 1 in. Queing around the car park now. Most items are now 1 per shopper. Local Tesco has quite a lot of empty shelves this morning.

Obesity is looking like it's going to be a thing of the past  ::) ::) ::)

Malky

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I've decided that one of the biggest problems of this virus is the panic caused by social media. Every site you look at gives different information and there is a lot of scare mongering. Check every bit of information against the official government sites and don't believe everything you read or are told, even by people on here. A lot of "experts" have sprung up overnight.

Bit of good news this morning, "China reported its first day with no new locally transmitted coronavirus infections, three months after the first case was detected."  The only new cases are people who have entered the country.

How true. Someone told my daughter at the beginning of the week that the doctors surgery was closed for deep cleaning because of a suspect virus victim. NOT TRUE all surgeries are closed to walk-in patients.  If she had looked at the surgery website instead of social media she would have seen that measures have been put in place, they are simply moving to a brand new purpose built medical centre!

On the upside my butcher tells me his business is booming. He has meat and eggs where the supermarket doesn’t. Let’s hope people continue to shop with him when this is over.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
 Very good advice Josey, sorry to hear you have a cold and great Mr. Josey is now able to go,out while he can... my hubby got till October b4 he's 70 but has underlying health issues so it's down to me....

Getting plenty of advice and help from my daughter despite her living in London.... says she may consider retraining as a primary school teacher as the children will be at home as of the end of Friday!
She and hubby both working from home .... she works for Bank of NY on their investments ..... not sure anyone wants to invest much these days except in supermarkets, gin distilleries, tolilet paper manufactures, respirator factories.....
Just talked to son in Australia via FaceTime and he said those working from home think it's a holiday and traffic has increased during the day time!

Oh well off to do some Yogalates using you tube as missing classes already and it's only been a week....

Keep cheerful all... wait for the exercise programmes that are supposed to be coming on tv soon!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria that will be good getting some shopping done by your neighbour. I also feel that this rootschat topic will help many of us to keep in touch with the outside world even if it is just for a "wee blether".

Groom I agree with what you are saying about social media and the misinformation being given out.

An example this morning was a video clip of troops landing at Edinburgh Airport with the caption "Military being mobilised to deal with crisis" It is actually members of The Royal Regiment of Scotland returning from a tour of duty a while back.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife