Author Topic: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Every 3 months or so I go to a local market and buy cheese for the next 3-months. I'd got down to my last few pieces of cheese and went there today, expecting either restrictions, heaving crowds or that it would be closed altogether. The market was as normal, the cheese man was delighted to see me and happy to take my £33, but it was very poorly attended. I even bought 'Er indoors some flowers.

I then went to a very large Sainsbury's, which was no busier than normal, many shelves were empty, but I got the dozen or so items that I wanted.

I've noticed that it's only the very cheapest items that are out of stock, and if you're prepared to pay a little bit extra for your coffee et cetera there is still a lot available. There was no dry rice, but masses of microwave rice. Another good thing about depleted stocks is that it doesn't take so long to do your shopping! Card transactions were taking a bit longer so I had a very pleasant chat with the lady on the till.

What benefits have you found recently?

Martin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 March 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The canals in Venice are certainly benefitting from the lack of tourists.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
   I have just heard someone on the radio say that this is a notifiable disease, which I gather from a quick check means that doctors have to notify it. Does this mean that we should tell the doctor about mild cases, like my daughter, which do not require treatment? There must be 1000's of uncounted cases?

No, you don't need to tell the doctor.

Doctors have to notify confirmed cases. (This was a measure put in place in the early stages as part of the contain phase, and is less relevant now that we are in the delay phase.)
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I've been in town today - needed to go to the bank. As I am an 'over 70' I am still not sure if I will have to self isolate from weekend - so I wanted enough cash if I needed anyone to shop for me.

Town quieter than usual. They were only allowing a few people in the bank at once. 2 men on the door!! Then it was one out, one in. Queue was building up outside.

Went to chemist to pick up repeat medication -- asked them if they knew whether over 70s had to self isolate from weekend -- and if so - how did I go about having monthly medication delivered.

Chemist checked his information -- told me over 70s only had to CONSIDER self isolating from weekend.

One of the benefits I have found is that people are laughing and joking with each other - so much more camaraderie than normal.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks Albufera - that is pretty much what I thought, as there is not much testing being done.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Messsage for Pennines  :)

I've had my hair cut - we decided 1.5 ins would be best. It's looking good and I have optimistically made another appointment for 21 April.
We were all spaced out - every other chair - and lots of hand sanitizer available and wiping down surfaces after each client.

I see that Michel Barnier has tested positive.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Does this mean that we should tell the doctor about mild cases, like my daughter

Mild cases of what?

The canals in Venice are certainly benefitting from the lack of tourists.

The sky is blue in China.

The earth breaths a sigh of relief.

Debra  :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm 72 with an underlying health condition, live alone, although I do have a loving family around me.  We are being sensible and following all the necessary guidelines and limiting contact. My niece has got hold of an item I wanted and is going to bring it to me on Friday.   Will be the first family member I've seen for a week!  Decided that for the first time ever I would order my groceries online.

Only the largest store of my preferred choice does home delivery and click and collect.   Only a 3 week calendar and every slot is taken on both methods for the whole 3 weeks!  Regularly checked but result always the same.   Learnt a short while ago that today the first hour of opening was for those 70+ - too late for me as didn't learn of this until mid-day!   However, it seems it applied only for today and not a daily event.  Why not!

Therefore, I tried another supermarket - same result.   Tried a third and this time was lucky - was able to arrange a delivery for next week although many items were shown as 'out of stock' especially regarding fresh vegetables and tinned goods.

I don't want to have to bother my family unduly - they have their own immediate families to care for.

With lighter evenings coming, and the arrival of Spring, can spend some time outside.   I live in a block of 10 flats and we have our own secluded garden area - with the better weather will be able to chat with neighbours.   Spoke to my downstairs neighbour yesterday who said if I needed anything just to let him know and he would try to get it for me, bless him.

So, I am trying to be positive about everything, following guidelines, keeping abreast of all the news but for me the evenings are the worst.   Once behind closed doors and with no-one there to converse with my fears come to the forefront.   I actually enjoy living alone but when something major happens (whatever it may be) I do tend to go into panic mode until the matter is resolved.   What we have now is unprecedented and all the more scary accordingly.   I know there are so many who are far worse off than myself but come the end of each day I find myself turning into a wimp!

Thank God for this hobby of ours and this thread for getting things of our chest.  Stay safe everyone!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 19 March 20 13:59 GMT (UK) »
@ Chas, well done kid! 10 out of 10  ;D

"Mustn't Gwumble!"

Skoosh.