Author Topic: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)  (Read 4880 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: State of emergency Covid 19 (Part 3)
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes Suey, I hope people will still patronise the shops who have helped them, my butcher had no meat at all today whist there was long queues at the market stall, I heard some say that a lot of fruit and veg would be wasted, cant hoard fruit and veg, a lot of it can't be frozen

My local electrical shop had completely sold out if freezers days ago, what on earth is wrong with people?

Louisa Maud

In six months time e bay will be flooded with 2nd hand freezers complete with frozen peas and if you’re really lucky a bag of manky sprouts  ;D ;D
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
 I managed to get a delivery slot from Tescos, albeit about 2 weeks ahead of when I booked it. I've just been in to add some items - and was amazed at how many items are 'no longer available'.

I expected it for toilet rolls, pasta etc - the items that have been mentioned in the media thus precipitating even more panic buying (please, Boris, tell BBC News and Sky News to stop this wall to wall ARMAGEDDON COVERAGE. Its counterproductive).

Items I can no longer get - Lurpak butter, Twinings English Breakfast teabags etc etc, several items of cat food - even bl--dy custard!!

Why? I thought we'd been assured that there was plenty of stock, and my delivery isn't due for several days, so, again, why?  I'm beginning to disbelieve absolutely everything the media tell me. They're just looking for sensationalism.

I'm in the 'danger' category. I'm 70 (just - I keep telling people I am not actually OVER 70 so am totally immune!!!!) and I have an 'underlying condition' (nothing to do with breathing difficulties). I now have another problem - I have to pick up a repeat prescription from the chemist in the same building as my doctor. You have to walk through the doc's waiting room to get to it. Plus, I shall have to go on a bus. I've looked on the doctor's website but not a mention of any special arrangements! I shall have to ring them but I'll be lucky if I get through before I reach 71 (if I ever do!).

Aren't we all proud to be British?   ::) Apparently the Italians, who have it far, far worse than us, have NOT stripped their supermarket shelves clean but are very supportive of each other.

One item I did manage to buy (from the local shop) was next week's Radio Times. In it, there is an article which made me chuckle - it referred to Huw Edwards on the BBC as "the One Horseman of the Apocalypse with his 'we're all going to die so you might as well put away that hand sanitiser' face".

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Am also enjoying the humour, 

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
I've never been to Venice but I was pleased too to see that the Venice canals are clean and you can see the fish.

We wandered up to the local little coop this morning . I only wanted milk which I got , but there was no bread and very little meat. We did however buy husband a box of snickers ice cream bars as a treat and I bought him a new toothbrush!

Then we washed all the outside windows and washed the car. The phone said we walked 1.9 miles.
It's been a lovely sunny though crisp day here.
North East of England

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 19 March 20 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I am also putting my time to good use, done  out a cupboard under the stairs, dusters all folded up in a bag and hung from a hook, but for how long?,  didnt realise I had so many, well overdue job,  the charity shop will do well

Also found a curtain which  I don't need, might make some peg bags with the best bits for the church bazaar, last Saturday in  November, think it will be over by then?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 19 March 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
It's when you start finding gas masks from WW2 Louisa! You will be SO popular - and will be able to name your own price.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 19 March 20 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I used to play with my sister's WW2 gas mask when I was little. I was born just before the war ended so didn't have one issued!.

Went to a Farm shop in Northumberland - managed to get some wholemeal bread flour. The yeast in my cupboard is best before end March 2020 so will be having fun.

I do have a breadmaker  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 19 March 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Gadget -- could you parents not afford toys?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 19 March 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON