Author Topic: Marriage in Philadelphia look up  (Read 720 times)

Offline Aspen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage in Philadelphia look up
« on: Thursday 19 March 20 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Mary Jane Kinkaid married James Robinson in Philadelphia 1895. I can see from the newspaper that the marriage licence was ordered April 1895. Also, the address given was 5814 Knox Street for both. As I cannot see the certificate online it does give the licence number 75905 and Digital GSU number 4141874 in Ancestry.
Mary Jane Robinson, nee Kinkaid died 18th March 1961 giving David as the father and mother unknown. I believe David is an error and would like to get the marriage certificate to confirm this. It is impossible for me to get the marriage cert as I don't live in America. They require and stamped address envelope with $40. It is not the money that is causing the problem, but getting the correct stamps for the envelope. I can only purchase UK stamps.
It is possible for someone to be able to go to the reading rooms and look up the marriage and let me know the parents names?
I wish that Philadelphia had an online system that would allow me to purchase the cert and send by email. I have been able to do this from New Zealand.
Any any information is very much appreciated.
Spence from Raphoe, Donegal, Ireland.
Hamilton from Donegal, Ireland

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage in Philadelphia look up
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Can you buy the stamps you need from the US Postal Service and have them ship them to you? They do in the States, but I don't know if they would ship them outside the country.

https://store.usps.com/store/home

And I don't know if the right city department would even be open for normal business right now. A lot of things are shut in the US.

PS I don't live anywhere near Philadelphia.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a RAOGK volunteer in Philadelphia (on the list linked  - initials D  A ) Might take some time i things are closing down but may be able to help you in the future.

https://raogk.org/lookups/region/pennsylvania/

There was someone on here who used to do look ups but I can't quite think of the name at moment. Might come back with that.

Stay Safe.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Aspen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I will follow up on this in a few months. Now is a bad time as so many places will be closing. I was hoping that I would have got information on how to apply online, pay and all would have been sent via email.
I now have this new information and will be using it in the near future.
Stay safe and thank you.

Aspen

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 20 07:10 BST (UK) »
This can be found in the free Philadelphia marriage licenses on familysearch.org. Parent names are not typically given on these licenses.

#75905, 13 Apr 1895
Personally appeared James Robinson who hereby requests the Clerk of the Orphans' Court, for the said County, to issue a License for the Marriage of himself to Mary Kinkaid and who, being duly sworn according to law, doth depose and say: that he was born in Ireland, on the - day of [age 27 yrs] A.D. 18-; that he resides at 5814 Knox St Germantown, Philadelphia, that he - occupation gardiner [sic], that he is not related by blood or marriage to the person whom he desires to marry; that he has not been married before, that Mary Kinkaid whom he is about to marry, was born in Ireland on the - day of [age 22 yrs] A.D. 18-; that she resides at same house, no occupation; that she has not been married before, that he knows of no reason why the said marriage may not be lawfully made.

Offline Aspen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
That is more than I expected. Thank you very much for that. There is always one ancestor that gives a lot of difficulty in tracing them. Mary Jane Kinkaid is one of them. I wonder if she had just arrived in Philadelphia and had not started work. It makes me wonder, did they know each other as the had the same address. Maybe, she followed James from Donegal Ireland to marry him.

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 March 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
It seems like we also have a ship manifest for her arriving at Ellis Island on 10 Oct 1892 on the ship City of Rome. Mary J. Kincaid age 18, from Derry, left from Moville, intending to stay in Philadelphia, PA. No other Kincaid/Kinkaid on this page but the passengers listed above and below her have surnames Lindsay, Laughrey, Laughlin, Kennedy. Sometimes they traveled in groups from the same area, though Mary was the only one headed to Philadelphia.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G1D7-Z4H?i=462&cc=1368704

This date checks out as on the 1910 census they are found living in Ward 22 with 3 children: Eliza 14, David J 12, James A 9, and Mary (35) gives her date of arrival as 1892 while James (41) gives his as 1891.

Same dates on the 1900 census but here they also give birth month and year.
James Sept 1867
Mary June 1873
Eliza Feb 1896
David Feb 1898

Offline Aspen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 March 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
I wonder was she going out to James Robinson. If this is my ancestor, she had a sister Eliza and a brother Robert living in Philadelphia. Possibly out to her siblings. It is a pity that the information isn't there for that. I think that might have been the case later on as they added to the name and address they were traveling too.