Author Topic: Positive Ideas of How to keep entertained at home  (Read 3614 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Positive Ideas of How to keep entertained at home
« Reply #27 on: Monday 23 March 20 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Virtual Desert Island Discs.

I've just sent out to about 16 of my friends/acquaintances a suggestion for a Virtual Desert Island Discs.
They are asked to list their 8 favourite pieces of music and if appropriate any stories behind their choices.
The outcome will be to collate the responses into a Virtual DID with stories and music to circulate among the responders in an appropriate manner.
Initial response encouraging.
Will be interesting to see the choices of music.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 March 20 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 March 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
;D

My screen only goes down as far as USA and there doesn't seem to be a slider to move further down.  ???

Ctrl and minus will zoom your screen out, and Ctrl and plus will zoom in.  I had a similar problem on one of my laptops.

I have this morning thought of a way one could play the map game with others.  Agree amongst you which country you are visiting.  Then each go to the home page, click on that country, and then select Stealth at the bottom.  Then everyone playing tries to navigate to the capital city of that country for a virtual party.  I was just trying it out - I selected Iceland, and I find I'm on a car ferry surrounded by icebergs!  Great way to see the world whilst we're stuck at home.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 March 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
;D

My screen only goes down as far as USA and there doesn't seem to be a slider to move further down.  ???

Ctrl and minus will zoom your screen out, and Ctrl and plus will zoom in.  I had a similar problem on one of my laptops.

I have this morning thought of a way one could play the map game with others.  Agree amongst you which country you are visiting.  Then each go to the home page, click on that country, and then select Stealth at the bottom.  Then everyone playing tries to navigate to the capital city of that country for a virtual party.  I was just trying it out - I selected Iceland, and I find I'm on a car ferry surrounded by icebergs!  Great way to see the world whilst we're stuck at home.

Is there any way of ‘saving’ the point you’ve reached so that you can continue your journey another day?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 March 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
A few more ideas: 

The Ramblers Association are mounting a campaign to re-open old footpaths and are asking volunteers to compare old and modern maps and indicate where the old rights of way were so they can see if it's feasible to reinstate them.    For people who like maps (I'm a retired digital cartographer) this is interesting and useful:

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/dont-lose-your-way-2026.aspx

There are always loads of projects available on Zooniverse, the people-powered research site, where volunteers are known as citizen scientists,  and you get great satisfaction from ensuring that valuable data is digitised.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects

Beats playing Spider Solitaire mindlessly, I promise you.  I know these things.....    ;D

PS:  Hi JenB - if there is, I haven't worked it out yet.  The other day I was in the midst of a terrifying journey in the mountains of Northern Greece on the border with Albania.  I had ALMOST got to the main road to Athens when I had to go out.  Now I shall never know what's at the end of that crumbling mountain road.   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 March 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
PS:  Hi JenB - if there is, I haven't worked it out yet.  The other day I was in the midst of a terrifying journey in the mountains of Northern Greece on the border with Albania.  I had ALMOST got to the main road to Athens when I had to go out.  Now I shall never know what's at the end of that crumbling mountain road.   ;D

Bother! If you do find out please let me know. I was just turning left at a roundabout towards Lake Balaton in Hungary the other day when we had a momentary power cut.....
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 March 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I've just ordered yet more books ( I need more shelf space!) from that well known South American river so that, and FH will keep me going.

I also want to re-learn how to play backgammon. I used to be pretty good at it years ago but have forgotten all I knew. I'm sure there must be something online where you can play the computer!!

Gardening on the fine days and reading on the not so fine days. Lots of stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime (I really recommend The Man In The High Castle).
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
;D

Aah thank you Greensleeves  :D I knew I'd encountered this problem before but couldn't remember the solution to it. Much appreciated.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 March 20 17:00 GMT (UK) »
As maps have been mentioned a few times already, here is a mapping project I have suggested as a possible 'Friday night challenge' for our local Scout Group - perhaps it might be of interest to some here or an idea you can pass on to your local youth groups such as Scouts, Guides, BB, etc:

https://www.missingmaps.org/

and some info from their site, as to what it is all about:

.   Each year, disasters around the world kill nearly 100,000 and affect or displace 200 million people. Many of the places where these disasters occur are literally 'missing' from any map and first responders lack the information to make valuable decisions regarding relief efforts. Missing Maps is an open, collaborative project in which you can help to map areas where humanitarian organisations are trying to meet the needs of vulnerable people       

So, "Entertainment" of sorts, but with a very worthwhile purpose.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .