Author Topic: Tips for safe shopping  (Read 1246 times)

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for safe shopping
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:56 GMT (UK) »
We took advantage of the dedicated slot for nhs staff this morning in our local tesco. The queues were insane... Did manage to get most of what we came out for though. Except for rice and paracetamol =(
Tesco were giving every NHS staff member a bunch of flowers as they arrived which was a lovely touch  :D

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 March 20 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Search the internet/Facebook/Twitter for Jack Monroe.....Bootstrap Cook.  Imaginative recipes from your store cupboard tins and packets.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 March 20 15:16 GMT (UK) »

Tesco were giving every NHS staff member a bunch of flowers as they arrived which was a lovely touch  :D

That was a lovely gesture you are all doing a wonderful job during difficult times thank you

Rosie

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 March 20 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I went a twenty minute walk this afternoon,in the glorious sunshine alone, round the deserted cemetery.
It was a tonic.
The only people I saw were a group standing in a circle round a grave ,about
ten people.
It was their mother’s grave and they had some bubbly and there was laughter.
It was her anniversary, and they knew they would not get together again for possibly a very long time.
However they were pretty close together.
 I made a new friend a big Rottweiller,old and stiff but friendly.
Only out about   20  minutes but I have been stuck in since 10 th January
and it was heaven, well it would be for many of those in there!
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline MrsS2012

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 March 20 20:40 GMT (UK) »

That was a lovely gesture you are all doing a wonderful job during difficult times thank you

Rosie

Thank you  :)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I was fortunate enough to have half a bottle of hand sanitizer at home (dating from when the dog had a very upset tummy!), so I transferred some of it to one of those little travel toiletries bottles to take on shopping expeditions. Otherwise I'd definitely be using lydiaan's method, as sanitiser and wipes are impossible to find here.

As luck would have it, a local hypermarket had one of its periodic "buy in bulk" promotions not long before everything kicked off, so I was well supplied with household products (inc. loo roll!) and non-perishables - not so much foresight as convenience/trying to save money to be honest. My aim now is to shop for fresh food no more than once a week at most. (I suspect that might be the next stage of lockdown in any case, but it makes sense.)

We have click and collect here (rural France), but no home delivery: unless OH or I fall ill, I intend to shop in person so those who really need it can have the c&c slots. I also buy from a frozen food van which comes round every 3 weeks or so.

The local supermarket is well-stocked - we've had very little panic buying. No hand sanitizer, but otherwise pretty much everything is available. They're limiting how many are in the store at the same time, and have marked "safe" distances on the floor at the counters and checkouts. They've also supplied their staff with masks, thin plastic gloves (like you'd see on the meat counter) and their limited reserves of hand sanitizer. (And I think they're quite right to protect the staff rather than sell it to us.)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 20 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Had another lovely walk this afternoon,met,at a distance ,a lady and we had a long distance chat.
Only walked about half an hour and close to home,round the cemetery which was a picture with all the flowers from Mothering Sunday.
I am sadly not able to walk the two and a half hours every day I did with my dog,but I aim to do much better than at present as long as we oldies are allowed out!
On the way back home I exchanged some long distance words with a friend from dog walking days, hers is now 16 and arthritic,so can just do a gentle stroll.
I left the cemetery and on the road from the cemetery where I live there was
a young lad sitting on the boot of a car and said as I passed, that they( his family) were inside the house where the car was parked as they were just buying a Golden Cocker Spaniel puppy!
I live so close and did not know .However they had all been sold and perhaps now is not the time,I would have Vet visits for inoculations,health checks etc
and of course there may be further restrictions if this virus gets worse.
But I enjoyed the lovely fresh air and chats and feel ready for a dog.
I am annoyed that circumstances,like foul weather ,that awful flu the winter my dog had to be put to sleep etc means I have to build up my walking skills again.
Delivery from Tesco tomorrow teatime,it says “ no bags” don’t know what that means as it will be the first time I have ordered on line.
We will see.
I may go to the greengrocers’ stall on the open market in our little town on Saturday, good fresh stuff .
 I am so annoyed though that circumstances have caused me to lose the ability to walk for a long time .
I must persevere and improve, !
Viktoria.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I believe that many dog shelters/ rescue centres are crying out for people who could give a home to an older dog. Perhaps that might suit you?
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Thankyou, that had crossed my mind,but it seems difficult to contact the ones near me.They do not answer the phone but many staff are volunteers and will not be there .

I suppose also I would have to be assessed, and visits made so the dog will feel comfortable  with me.
I will enquire further.

Another lovely day and so another walk.
Delivery this aft so some re organisation of my store cupboard,a bit like Mother Hubbard’s at the moment.
Home made Christmas mincemeat.
Two Jellies.
Custard powder
A tin of anchovies.
A tin of golden syrup.
Oats
Home made jam 
Ratafia biscuits for trifles.
I thought there was a large tin of baked beans— but — no, it is a false one where you can hide your jewels!
It was full but I have been pretty housebound since Jan10th, son takes me shopping but a quick dash round for essentials  usually , so it has been depleted.

I have never been attracted to Rottweilers but the one I met on Sunday was a big softie,  very calm and laid back.
I might dog nap him!
Fancy there being home bred puppies so close to me!
That is the best way to get a dog, see Mum, get Vet’s check etc .
Never mind ,something will happen.

Cheerio, and thanks again.Viktoria.