Author Topic: Tips for safe shopping  (Read 1820 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tips for safe shopping
« on: Friday 20 March 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
May I propose a good tip for those who cannot find gloves/wipes etc. and are worried about hand hygiene. Get a clean, absorbent cloth (such as an old face flannel).  Soak in hot water and then wring until damp.  Using a sponge soaked in  disinfectant, dab all over until the cloth is fully 'treated'.  Seal in a bag, take to supermarket and before collecting trolley, wipe the handle over several times before touching.  Re-treat during shop.   You can use it for door handles, etc. too.  Who needs wipes?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for safe shopping
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Good tip - I have been taking Dettol wipes with me plus hand gel and using diluted Dettol to wipe door handles etc.

I also spray my car with a sanitising spray when I park up at home.  Violets natural surface anti bacterial sanitiser - eucalyptus & tea tree.  Lovely fresh smell and environmentally friendly
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline delen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
TOTALLY AGREE ( right or wrong I have also used bleach) and I wear disposable gloves in Supermarket/shops etc.

Although I upset a man whose trolley I disinfected after he had returned it ( words not to be repeated)
Must admit I felt proud of myself for not "biting" I walked away feeling I had done my bit to help keep  safe.

Has anyone taken advantage of the Supermarkets hours for the elderly?

Keep well everyone.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:01 GMT (UK) »
The thing is, how do we get home with our shopping?
Taxi,public transport?
I Can’t walk all the way home with or without shopping, it is uphill  all the  way and a mile to a mile and a half.
I am an almost 83 year old heart patient.

So any suggestions very welcome.
Things like the above could be the reason why some old people have not incarcerated themselves in their homes to quietly fade away ,

That happened in the Big Famine,never thought we would see  the  possibility of that over here in this day and age .
Some people don’t think before they post smart Alec answers !
Not on this topic I hasten to add.
Viktoria

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Viktoria

Very difficult times for persons such as yourself as you don’t want to be on public transport and even accepting a lift can carry risks because of proximity etc.   Do you have any family or neighbours who could do some shopping for you? 

I am currently shopping for a 100yr old gentleman plus my sister aged 90 & my brother 87yrs as neither drive.  I have been conscious that the contents of my trolley look as though I am “panic buying” and it has made me realise that I shouldn't judge others as they may well be doing the same as me. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks I do, but how do I pay them ,I can see me putting money in a dish of vinegar like in the plague!
My nearest son is in Bolton ,not too far at all 20/30 mins but again it is contact.
He was not allowed through the hospital doors on Thursday when he took me.
The other two are inSuffolk and Surrey.
My son will wait for payment of course but I would not want neighbours to have to wait.
I have not heard from the nearest son today ,he will be feeling awkward re Mothering Sunday tomorrow.
We don’t go out ,it is a big con and restaurants full of poorly behaved children,.
When all living near Idid the big meal .
But I haven’t phoned today ,did not want to put nearest son on the spot.
He will phone tomorrow,as will the other two.
I just feel that whilst it is an emergency ,to spring upon the old and vulnerable such restrictions without them getting a chance to even get their basic weekly modest shopping in was poorly thought out.
A bit of notice would have been of immense help.
There is help for all it seems but the elderly.
Many do not have the spending power to stockpile food ,don’t have a well stocked cupboard at the best of times.
Not much we can do ,but every minute things flash  into your  mind, I need this I  need that etc.
 Let’s hope this thing peaks soon and life gets back to something like normal but inevitably that will take time and I fear  things will never be the same again.
 Who knows, things may be better .Lets hope so.
Thanks for your kind interest.Viktoria.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
The best protection of Coronavirus is to stay at home.

If you are vulnerable, then try and arrange for somebody to leave shopping for you without physical contact.

We have been eating a lot less to make our food go further. We have started writing down what things we have in the cupboard to work out how much of various thing we have to plan things.

Today for lunch we had a soup I made from potatoes, an onion and a pepper - and we have enough for tomorrow. For our evening meal we had the second half of a small portion of Peruvian curry, then a very brown banana with a bit of cream we had left.

We're trying to eek things out.

Anyhow.

Here is some information about the Covid-19 Coronavirus from Dettol:

https://www.dettol.co.uk/about-us/understanding-coronavirus/

It's an useful page generally.

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 20 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping to stay safe by shopping on line rather than go to the shops for the elderly / disabled hour. Have a delivery slot for Friday 3rd April. 
I went in to add an item to my order and was told bananas were already unavailable. When I looked more closely it appeared that they now restricted individual bananas to 3 per order, so my order of 6 to last 2 of us for the forseeable future which had been allowed when I placed my order was now rejected. However I could order 3 packs of pre-packed bananas, each containing 4 or 5 fruit. So my order of 6 individual fruit was rejected, but I was allowed to order at least double that number.
Unfortunately I can't get any slot at all for the week after 3rd April or even a fortnight ahead of that. Don't know what I'm going to do then, probably have to go out again.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 20 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Get a clean, absorbent cloth (such as an old face flannel).  Soak in hot water and then wring until damp.  Using a sponge soaked in  disinfectant, dab all over until the cloth is fully 'treated'.  Seal in a bag, take to supermarket and before collecting trolley, wipe the handle over several times before touching.  Re-treat during shop.   You can use it for door handles, etc. too.  Who needs wipes?

Good idea, lydiaann, I shall use the 30 year old Mothercare muslins that my babies had, I knew they would come in handy some day :)