Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 4)  (Read 5104 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 4)
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 21 March 20 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Blimey I'm SOOO late to this party. Not me in my avatar either, though some say I can turn a catty phrase when required....

Can hardly type for laughing

I can bring some banana Nesquik best before 1995 [find it surprising there such were dates back then] and soup made today from cauliflower leaves [just an experiment..]. Also 2 litres crab apple vodka made last year. Song? 'Save the last .....for me'.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 21 March 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh Carol (that reminds me of the song!!)

I have always thought you were VERY clever -- you did a wonderful restore for me. Bet the statisticians couldn't do that.

Aw bless you, thanks you...not really, it's just practice and a bit of know how  ;)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Goodness, this topic is expanding and growing just like a... well, you know!  LOL  When I left last night there were only 7 pages, and that has doubled overnight.

My profile pic is my lovely Mum, taken when she was just 18 and heading into the unknown of WW2 and a few years of hardship, deprivation and hiding in the cupboard under the stairs (writing love letters to my Dad who was stationed in Palestine).

Cheers all!  I can't add to the "past its sell by date" food stories, but the party looks great with plenty to go 'round.

Hope that the panic buying in the UK will settle down soon!  Here we are fairly normal, so hopefully that will continue.

Ms_C
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Carol -- thank you, but I wonder how that is worked out.

Roobarb and Gadget -- thank you.

Roobarb, you were my actual inspiration to put one on and Gadget - you and I had been discussing the really unimportant and rather shallow subject about our hair!! Hence it's the fault of you 2!

Mathematical modelling, based on the R0 value, they use powerful computers to help work it out.  All infectious diseases have an Ro number and they have experts whose job it is to work all this out
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explanation PharmaT, you learn something every day on here  :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if this has been covered before,but for those who want to know the scientific basis on which the government is basing it's decisions,it's here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01p7f/

The key factor is the "R nought" value,the number of people on average one person will infect if there are no mitigating factors.

Roger

Thanks for the link. I've saved it to my Favourites list in the rapidly expanding "Health" folder.
I'm asked if I have any symptoms at the radiography reception desk when I arrive for treatment each weekday. No relatives, friends, carers or drivers allowed past main reception desk at front of building since Tuesday. The only place they can visit is toilet near main door. They have to wait outside the building. Cafe & seating area at front of reception has been restricted since midweek to patients waiting for appointments or transport. No longer the busy, friendly place it was.
Volunteer drivers for the cancer support charity are now restricted to 1 patient per car. No fellow patient to chat with about treatment or normal life, or work or life before cancer, during the long journey.  The charity put out an appeal a fortnight ago for hand sanitiser for drivers as their usual supply was unobtainable and all that was available was going to cost "silly money".
The number of chairs for patients waiting outside individual treatment rooms has been halved. They are placed about 4 feet apart. We sit as far away from each other as possible and raise our voices to speak to each other. A vacant row of chairs was cleaned while I was waiting. Armchairs with fabric seats have been pushed against the wall, facing the wall so that nobody can sit on them.
Yesterday I had the entire waiting area for 2 treatment rooms to myself. There was a fault with the fire alarm and aloud, incessant, high-pitched whine from a box on the wall behind the chairs. Decided I needed a displacement activity in an attempt to ignore it.  Remembered I hadn't done my daily physio so moved to the opposite end of the room and concentrated on my exercises. Still plenty of time to wait for my appointment - so took advantage of the expanse of floor space, which is lacking at home, to dance. Began with a solo version of  Morecambe & Wise "Bring me Sunshine" routine; (It was Daniel Radcliffe's 1st choice on "Desert Island Discs" that morning.) I'm Ernie as I'm little; I had to imagine Eric beside me. I sang quietly. Next, a simple European folk dance, learned at school. Then I tried Irish dancing but that was a step beyond what my recovering body can cope with. (I've been singing a verse & chorus from a hymn to St. Patrick to time hand-washing this week.) Realised leg muscles have been drastically under-used these past months and 2 hours sitting in a car + time in waiting-room 5 days a week wasn't helping, so practised fencing moves up & down the room. Double-doors were wide-open; I paused movement whenever I heard people approaching along the corridor. Then my name was called, putting an end to activity.
A radiographer gave me 2 Covid-19 information sheets specifically for cancer patients having treatment.
I'm practising new skills - turning taps on & off and opening hospital toilet doors using my elbow. Elbow also deployed to push button for opening waiting-room doors. N.B. I do not sneeze into my elbow; I carry tissues in every pocket.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »

My mate just said he’s run out of toilet paper and is having to use lettuce leaves...Today was the tip of the iceberg.

I grow a tall native wildflower with big soft leaves, used by country folk before loo-paper was invented. A neighbour calls it the "Andrex Plant". It takes 3 years to grow from seed. If it's stolen from my garden, I'll know why.
Cowban

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 21 March 20 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I was disappointed not to attend the party but I just had to watch two programmes about Ready, Steady Go on BBC4 last night. Yes, Keith Fordyce was there but so was Cathy McGowan and, let's be honest, which 13 year old lad was not in love with her in 1963?. The programme was a must see in those days and so were those of last night.
I had a crate of twelve bottles, bought from the Corona pop(?) man, ready to bring along with a couple of Bird's Eye ready roast beef dinners circa 1974.
I watched some of today's live press conference/update on the news. It is claimed that an extra billion pounds worth of food is held in households than there was three weeks ago, so we'll soon know the greedy baskets because they will be the ones in a few weeks time who will be too fat to get off their a****. At least they won't be able to get to the shops for a while!.
Furthermore, the consensus of opinion is that bulk/panic buying should soon start to tail off because the greedy sods will have so much.
Also, our local council have made the decision to stop their fortnightly collection of garden waste for which we have paid handsomely. They will CONSIDER carrying our subscriptions forward. If they do not carry it forward we will have paid for a service which they will have failed to provide. We have had two collections this month but that was due to an error on behalf of the driver; we should have only had one. I don't think, either, that our other bins will be emptied any more often than they are now - recycling weekly and non-recyclable (landfill) fortnightly.
Don't forget my invitation to the next do, please.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 21 March 20 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Let's go the "whole hog" and have a three course meal from yesteryear

Prawn Cocktail (Soup in a basket is off)
Smorgasbord(Fill in your own details)
Black Forest Gateau(Compulsory)

Washed down with copious quantities of Blue Nun

Mentioned in Michel Roux's obit as "boring food" eaten by Britons which the Roux brothers replaced with more adventurous dishes. Prawn cocktail and Black Forest Gateau were exotic to me.
Cowban